Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

URGENT! Does the ASUS P7H55 MoBo require the -5V pin?

• Please log in to reply

Parameter

Parameter

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I still have time to cancel my order for the ASUS P7H55 MoBo ( http://www.asus.com/...#specifications ) so please help ASAP.

The question is quick - does this MoBo require ALL pins on the PSU's 20+4pin connector? I just got the PSU (Corsair CX500 V2) and there's one cable missing in the main connector. I've read that it's the optional -5V rail, but "some older motherboards" require it. Now, I know how quickly something can be called "old" on this market, so is the ASUS P7H55 "old" in this matter? Seems quite new to me as the Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs for which it's been created are new, right? :)

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
According to the picture and documentation it does:

1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi Parameter
Your MB and PSU are compatible so no worries.

Connectors 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin) This is one lead that has a 20 pin + a 4 pin connector, they are used together to make a 24 pin connection in the case of your MB or the 20 pin only for earlier MBs.
1 x 4+4 Pin EPS 12V This connection can be used either as a single 4 pin ATX connection on older MBs or as 2 together to make an 8 pin ATX connector which some newer MBs require quad core CPUs etc in particular.
2 x PCI-E
5 x SATA
4 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy
I hope this answers your question but let us know either way.

Parameter

Parameter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the info, I think I didn't say it clear. I know that basically, the MoBo and the PSU use the same standard, but there's one missing cable in the PSU's 24-pin connector. Each pin is connected to one small cable except for one (pin #18 - from what I've found according to this: http://pinouts.ru/Po...v2_pinout.shtml it's pin #20) which apparently is supposed to carry the -5V (through the white wire) which are optional in the newest standards.

Now, yes the MoBo requires a 24-pin connector, but won't the lack of this one pin/-5V cable be a problem? Does this particular MoBo need these -5 Volts?

---------EDIT---------

See here:
http://www.tomshardw...power-connector

On this guy's picture, it's the one pin in the bottom row of the 20-pin connector, 3rd from the left. They told him not to worry, but then - I've chose the P7H55 because of it's good backwards compatibility (as in - more than one standard PCI slot) so if it's considered "old" and does indeed need this -5V rail...? :)

Edited by Parameter, 30 August 2011 - 04:52 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hi Parameter

20 -5V White -5 VDC (this is optional on newer ATX-2 supplies, it is for use with older AT class expansion cards and can be omitted on newer units)

Meaning as yours is a later release MB it is not required, good quality PSUs are designed to be backward compatible as is the case with yours.

Parameter

Parameter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the info. The MB's on its way already, but this gave me a thrill for a while :unsure:

I've been a bit out of date and although I've gathered enough info in the recent weeks/months before making the final choice for the new hardware, it's the first time I've heard of the empty pin, but yeah, if it's really necessary for AT class :) then all worries are gone, I'm not building a 486.

Thanks again!

Case closed... and well ventilated :yes:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
You are welcome we are happy to have been able to help :unsure:
Good luck with the new build, let us know how it goes or if we can assist in any way :)

Parameter

Parameter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

You are welcome we are happy to have been able to help :unsure:
Good luck with the new build, let us know how it goes or if we can assist in any way :)

Well... if I'd had to make a "what can possibly go wrong" list, I could write a book with all problems that I can think of, but I would NEVER suspect something like this:
http://www.geekstogo...an-a-mobo-hold/

Yes, I do have these plastic... thingies (standoffs) in my old PC and NO, looking at the tiny metal "screw-extensions" did NOT give me the idea that these little thing are supposed to carry the weight of the MoBo as standoffs. This + not one word about it in any manual gave me some headache.

BUT... it's done :) I'm writing this from my new machine. Everything works, all systems clear, Core temperature at 35°C.

One word - WOW! :yes: After 10 years of stuttering scrolling through websites, stuttering YouTube videos, saving the life of my Pentium 4 which heatsink bracket broke off leaving if literally hangin on one bracket with almost no contact with the CPU and a couple of days running at 95°C (it's still working, BTW) and 3 years of torturing a GeForce 3 card at 1920x1080 resolution ... finally, my computer isn't the bottleneck of my working speed :) Can't wait to launch PhotoShop with 1GB DDR3 RAM on the GFX card (comparing to 64MB RAM on the old one).

And the fresh smell of air flowing through a new circuit board... ahh... priceless ;) ...or rather... ~$500, for that matter :)

There are downsides, though - I feel like a stranger in Windows 7. Where is... everything? It looks so pretty, but... it's not there ;)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Enjoy :) and thanks for the update