Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows updates problem after first step of malware removal

• Please log in to reply

cormac

cormac

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi

after following the first step for removing the ircbot malware/virus as found here on the site ( ircbot removal thread ) and after doing the first step with the combofix now i cannot turn off automatic updates ... any choices i might have under the security area in the control panel are grayed out and inaccessible even tho i have the administrator account ...

it's a vista home premium 32-bit os ... i don't like the automatic updating and do it regularly myself ... one reason i don't like it is because even tho the grayed out area in the time to do updates is set for 3 a.m., it's decided to do them now at 6:45 is the evening for some reason ..

any assistance would be appreciated

thanks
cormac

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi cormac and welcome. See if this helps: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/aupolicy.htm

cormac

cormac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
been out of town so haven't gotten back to this til now

no none of that helps ... i'm logged in as administrator etc ... don't find the things in the registry etc ...

i'll probably just redo the os but gonna try to post in malware forum and see if i can get this mircbot off here
thanks