Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe-system error an invalid parameter was passed to a service or

• Please log in to reply

valpal44

valpal44

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
help..ibm thinkpad x40 laptop cant boot windows xp home edition..i tried to do a clean install of xp..everything wnt ok so i thought untill it went to reboot
but wont..lsass.exe error than restarts over and over..what do i do?

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Try to do a clean install again. Make sure you format first and that there are no scratches or smudges on the disk.

Is this a Windows CD from MS or a recovery or setup disk from IBM?

What was the reason for the reinstall?

Edited by skifxr, 31 August 2011 - 01:25 AM.

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i tried to do a fresh install using a windows xp disc it goes through the whole process and the install starts but than lsass.exe system error an invalid parameter was passed to a service or function click ok so i do and it starts all over again..even when i choose the repair option instead or clean install..idont know what to do???

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
So this is happening before setup completes not at the final restart/bootup?

Please answer my other questions.

Edited by skifxr, 31 August 2011 - 01:32 AM.

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yeah it happens before setup completes. the disc is a windows disc not ibm disc.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Is this a genuine MS hologram CD...

Posted Image

or something homemade?

You still haven't answered why you are reinstalling. What was wrong that made you want to reinstall?

Go ahead and try to do a clean install again. Make sure you format first and that there are no scratches or smudges on the disk.

If you get another failure run a chkdsk...

Boot from the Windows CD as you would for a full setup. When the text mode portion of setup starts you will get a prompt in the lower right to press the F6 key. Press the F10 key at this point. This will take you directly to the recovery console.

type chkdsk /r and press enter

Let us know how it goes and if you got as far as running chkdsk of any errors and corrections made.

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i did what you said and it goes into the recovery consel provides system repair and recovery functionality
type exit to quit and restart computer
1:d:\windows
which windows installation would you like to log onto
(to cancel press enter) i type 1 than it asks me to type administrator password but i dont know it and it tells me its not valid try again i only get 3 chances than the laqptop restarts...

im using a hologram windows disc and i had to do an REINSTALLATION CUZ WHEN I GOT THE LAPTOP IT DIDNT HAVBE ANY OPERATING SYSTEM...

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Try not typing a password. Just hit enter at the password prompt.

Did you try to install again making sure there are no smudges or scratches on the disk?

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i tried to just press enter without typing a password thats when it says its not valid and asks me to re-enter password..it does it three times than says an invalid password has been entered 3 times to restart your computer hit enter

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Try to do a clean install again. Make sure you format first and that there are no scratches or smudges on the disk.

Go ahead and try to do a clean install again. Make sure you format first and that there are no scratches or smudges on the disk.

Did you try to install again making sure there are no smudges or scratches on the disk?

Advertisements

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
MY DISC ISNT SCRATCH FREE :)

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
SO CONSIDERING MY DISC ISNT PERFECT WHAT CAN I DO/SHOULD I DO NEXT?? THANK U FOR HELPING THIS LSASS STUFF IS NO FUN :)

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Do like I said and try to install again and please turn off your caps lock.

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
how do i format?

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
When you get to the screen with the partitions, delete them then choose to install in unpartitioned space and it will ask you how you want to format. Choose NTFS full.