Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help! ASUS GTX 560ti Overheating

• Please log in to reply

dr00p

dr00p

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I got Deus Ex Human Revolution,played it,maxed out on my system,around 80-100 fps @ 1600x900,but thats not the point.The temperature during the game go up to 80 degrees celsius on the gfx card,processor stays at 40,then my pc gets bluescreened.

Is it because it is overheating or is it something else?And if it is overheating why does it crash my pc only in this game?In The Witcher 2 it doesnt,in AC Brotherhood it doesnt(played it all day yesterday) and on other games it doesnt crash aswell,i know that DE:HR just came out and nvidia didnt optimize it yet,but i just want to know what happens.

I took the side panel off the case and i only saw a difference of like 2 degrees,it still crashed though.

My case has a fan in the back and also it has room for another fan on the side panel,but thing is the one on the side panel isnt pointing towards the gfx card,but towards the processor so i dont know if its worth it to put a fan if its not gonna suck the air out.

Specs are as follows:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090t Black Edition @ 3.2Ghz
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD
GPU: ASUS GTX 560ti DirectCU II
Memory: 8GB A-Data XPG Gaming Series @ 1600 Mhz
PSU:FSP 700 Watt Aurum Series
Case: Aerocool VS-9W

Thanks.

-dr00p

EDIT: The system is brand new,bought it like a week ago.

Edited by dr00p, 31 August 2011 - 04:59 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Those temps are fine. 80°C seems high but graphics cards do run hotter than CPUs.

Generally you want front to back flow through the case. Side panel fans sometimes are actually counter-productive because they disrupt the flow. So I generally don't like side panel fans unless they have a tunnel or chute to direct the flow at the CPU - their normal target, or they are monster fans, 200mm or larger.

It appears your case has lots of fan options. I would look at adding at least one in front.

1. Front - 3 x 12cm fans (optional) (w/Fan adaptor)
2. Back - 1 x 12cm fan (included)
3. Side - 2 x 12cm or 14cm fans (optional)
4. Bottom - 1 x 12cm or 14cm fan (optional)

In the meantime, you can open the side panel and blast a desk fan in there and see if it helps. Hopefully, it is already clean of dust, but if not, clean it before blasting.

Also, while that PSU is from a major maker and got some good reviews, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there is always the possibility you got one that struggles when pushed. I always like to verify I have good power so I would swap in a known good supply of suitable power.

You might also try running with just one stick of RAM at a time too.

dr00p

dr00p

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Those temps are fine. 80°C seems high but graphics cards do run hotter than CPUs.

Generally you want front to back flow through the case. Side panel fans sometimes are actually counter-productive because they disrupt the flow. So I generally don't like side panel fans unless they have a tunnel or chute to direct the flow at the CPU - their normal target, or they are monster fans, 200mm or larger.

It appears your case has lots of fan options. I would look at adding at least one in front.

1. Front - 3 x 12cm fans (optional) (w/Fan adaptor)
2. Back - 1 x 12cm fan (included)
3. Side - 2 x 12cm or 14cm fans (optional)
4. Bottom - 1 x 12cm or 14cm fan (optional)

In the meantime, you can open the side panel and blast a desk fan in there and see if it helps. Hopefully, it is already clean of dust, but if not, clean it before blasting.

Also, while that PSU is from a major maker and got some good reviews, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there is always the possibility you got one that struggles when pushed. I always like to verify I have good power so I would swap in a known good supply of suitable power.

You might also try running with just one stick of RAM at a time too.

I'll try adding a fan on the front part of the case.I'll try the desk fan aswell,the pc is as clean as it can be.The ram is perfectly fine its working good.
My issue is why does it only crash in that game.

Thanks for your reply.

-dr00p

dr00p

dr00p

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry for double post but i wanna say it crashed again like 5 minutes ago,and it said " The system has been shut down because of an uncontrollable hardware error"

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Any errors in device manager? I would disconnect everything not needed - especially unnecessary USB devices.

dr00p

dr00p

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nope no errors in device manager.I tried bumping the fan speed to 100 and that didnt help me with crashes.It might be the game not workin good with my rig or something ill wait for an update or untill i get a fan for the front of the case. As i said earlier it only happens on that game :| .

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

As i said earlier it only happens on that game

Which suggests it is the game, but it could also be hitting a unique memory address indicating RAM, or maybe it taxes the graphics in some unique way.

You might ask in the game forums here to see if someone else had a similar issue.

dr00p

dr00p

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

As i said earlier it only happens on that game

Which suggests it is the game, but it could also be hitting a unique memory address indicating RAM, or maybe it taxes the graphics in some unique way.

You might ask in the game forums here to see if someone else had a similar issue.

as far as i've read there,the game is so badly made that you have to bump the voltage of the card on the 500 series to get it to stop crashing... i guess i wasted my money...

Thanks
-dr00p

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

as far as i've read there,the game is so badly made that you have to bump the voltage of the card on the 500 series to get it to stop crashing... i guess i wasted my money...

Well, that's too bad. Live and learn I guess. You should never have to tweak voltages to make a game work.

A properly written game should provide good "game play" on just about any computer - even entry level computers. Any respectable programmer knows that most people cannot afford monster game machines so most games run just fine on lessor machines - they just may not have all the awesome backgrounds, special effects, and other graphics features.