Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Redirects

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi,

Windows XP, IE8

Everytime I click on Windows Update using IE8 (Start, All Programs, Windows Update), I am directed to a page that says "Use your Start menu to check for updates".

Prior to attempting to update this system, I ran SuperAntiSpyware and NOD32 and found and removed 181 critical threats (Trojan.Dropper/Win-NV, Trojan.Agent/Gen-SSHNAS, Malware.Trace, Worm.Autorun[E4],Trojan.Agent/Gen, Trojan.Agent/Gen-ComBot[Autorun], Worm.Autorun/Bot, Trojan.Agent/Gen-WormBot). Unfortunately, the owner of the system never received an XP recovery disk when he purchased the PC.

Here is the URL that Windows Update directs to:
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/vistadefault.aspx?ln=en-us

and here is the URL that I am supposed to be directed to:
http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

One thing I noticed about the url is that it points to "...vistadefault.aspx" instead of "...default.aspx". When I changed it to "...default.aspx" it keeps directing me to "...vistadefault.aspx"

When I run wupdmgr.exe (Start, Run), I get the same page.

How can I get to Microsoft Update page? (I am currently running mrt.exe Aug2011 from the run command)

Edited by 01010011, 31 August 2011 - 08:20 AM.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I was going to suggest Dial a fix but then I found this solution: http://www.eggheadca...-i-have-xp.aspx

Ok, I ran dial a fix. rebooted, that didn't do anything.
Mark posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 11:59 AM

Ok, I ran dial a fix. rebooted, that didn't do anything. I then went to the
update page i was getting and did a "view source". I'm not an expert, but I
did notice some code that said something like "Windows NT 6.0". I googled
that, and sure enough, that means Vista. XP should be 5.1. So I figured out
where the user agent settings are stored to identify the OS, changed those 2
instances to 5.1 instead of 6.0 and I'm back in business. It would be nice
to know exactly how that got changed.
Mark

To see your user agent string type this into the address bar of IE and press enter: javascript:navigator.userAgent

http://www.winhelpon...m-our-site.html

Edited by skifxr, 31 August 2011 - 09:08 AM.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you skyfxr. It worked!

I changed Windows NT 6.0 to Windows NT 5.1 in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent

However, in the following key, there was no entry set:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Internet Settings \ 5.0 \ User Agent

Restarting the computer allowed me to access Microsoft Update site.

However, when I tried to validate Windows, I got the following message:

Enter a genuine Windows product key. The product key used to activate Windows on your PC is a volume license key that has been blocked by Microsoft

I will start another post regarding this new problem. Thanks again skyfxr.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Prior to attempting to update this system, I ran SuperAntiSpyware and NOD32 and found and removed 181 critical threats (Trojan.Dropper/Win-NV, Trojan.Agent/Gen-SSHNAS, Malware.Trace, Worm.Autorun[E4],Trojan.Agent/Gen, Trojan.Agent/Gen-ComBot[Autorun], Worm.Autorun/Bot, Trojan.Agent/Gen-WormBot).

Uhh just a thought but I will almost bet you are still infected. I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks rshaffer61, I will.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Even if your validation issue is corrected I strongly suggest asking Essexboy to take a look at your system because that is a lot of infections to deal with at one time. :)