Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive Won't recognize Disc-Registry Problem

• Please log in to reply

Nick Youngerman

Nick Youngerman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello All,

My DVD RW drive will occasionally (50% of the time) not recognize that there is a disc in the drive. I have done the following things and would appreciate whatever help you can direct my way.

1) Eject tray and re-insert, with force. This works sometimes
2) Eject tray, start the disc spinning and reinsert. This works sometimes.
3) Eject tray, move optical reader from its standby position to some other position, put a cd/dvd on the tray and reinsert. This works sometimes
4) Uninstall DVD ROM from computer, reboot, and let Windows re-install the driver. Did not work
5) Enter my registry, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->System->ControlSet->Control->Class->4D36E965..... and deleted the Upper and Lower Limits. This did not work.

Any ideas? I attached my current registry view. I called Lenovo, who remote accessed my computer, ID'd that it was a registry problem but wanted 60 dollars to fix it. This was after step 4 but before step 5. I have faith that ya'll can help me out. Thanks!

Nick

Attached Thumbnails

• registry.png

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
My first thought is dirt. Dust and oily dander get sucked into the drive from the case fans and can obstruct the laser's operation. You can try a canned of compressed dusting gas, or it may be time to get a new drive. If it works some of the time, I don't see it being a setting or a driver issue.

Nick Youngerman

Nick Youngerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Digerati,

I tried using canned air. I didn't think it was dirt/dust because I can put disc A into the drive and it won't work, but disc B will work. If I reinsert disc A right after that, it still doesn't work. Disc A was a DVD rom for a game and disc B was a blank CD RW

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you tried drivers and you tried cleaning - that leaves swapping in another drive.

Nick Youngerman

Nick Youngerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
MFR Warranty expires in 20 days, so I'm gonna try that in about a week. Thanks for the help

Nick Youngerman

Nick Youngerman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Apparently a qtip on the lens was the solution....

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am a bit surprised you were able to get a Q-tip in there but am glad that worked. Thanks for the followup.