Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dell xps cant figure out what im doing wrong, (i think its BIOS)

• Please log in to reply

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
BBtw, mb light is solid yellow

Advertisements

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Note, got my comp to boot, "windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause, to fix the problem 1insert your windows installation disc and restart your comp. 2choose your language" 3: repair your comp. Info, windows failed to load because the firmware (bios) is not acip compatible

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Do you have the OS disk?
Can you post the MB details so that I can do some research, brand name, model and any revision number, look by the CPU, between the PCI slots and around the edge of the MB for this information.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

windows failed to load because the firmware (bios) is not acip compatible

Go into the BIOS and make sure that acip is enabled, save the settings and exit.

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Its a xps 630i and where would I disable that at? What section?

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
And revision is 1.0.12 I think (Its in my myOP) :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The yellow light details are as below;
Link integrity light (on integrated network adapter)
green light — A good connection exists between a 10-Mbps network and the computer.

orange light — A good connection exists between a 100-Mbps network and the computer.

yellow light — A good connection exists between a 1-GB (1000-Mbps) network and the computer.
Try navigating through the BIOS until you find the acip facility, possibly in the advanced settings.
Can I ask again whether you have the OS or system recovery disk as it may be required.

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes I do have it. It is sitting in my disc drive. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Its a xps 630i and where would I disable that at? What sectio

This should be set to enabled not disabled otherwise it will prevent the computer from booting.
Set the boot sequence to CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second and save the settings also have
you reset the time and date since you cleared the CMOS, http://support.dell....p.htm#wp1163484

Edited by phillpower2, 04 September 2011 - 02:43 PM.

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alright, I'll do this when I get home. Let you know his it goes. Thanks. :)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries post back when you are able to.

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Acpi has two choices, s1pos s3str

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Also, now... goes to "launch start up repair" or start windows normally. If I click repair, just reloads the same screen. Normally... square one. And just boots back to this screen.

Evan Shaw

Evan Shaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've got it all better. Thanks to you. :) you were a huge help. Pretty sure it boiled down to a bad stick of ram. :/ lol. But now I've got 4gigs... installed/updated graphics drivers. And even cleaned up the inside, and out for all of my troubles. :unsure: cleaned up the homescreen and is now defraging. She'll be a very happy computer in the morning. Thanks again for all of the help, phill.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I've got it all better. Thanks to you. :unsure: you were a huge help. Pretty sure it boiled down to a bad stick of ram. :/ lol. But now I've got 4gigs... installed/updated graphics drivers. And even cleaned up the inside, and out for all of my troubles. :yes: cleaned up the homescreen and is now defraging. She'll be a very happy computer in the morning. Thanks again for all of the help, phill.

Thank you Evan Shaw for posting back with such a grateful response, you yourself have played a major part in identifying the Ram as the cause of the issue and I merely assisted you which has been a pleasure, please let us know if we can be of any assistance in the future, possibly with a Ram upgrade :)