Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 will not shut down

• Please log in to reply

valleyboy

valleyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi all,

Can anybody please offer advice for the above problem? I have also had the blue screen of death.

This PC is just a few weeks old, I have tried system restore but obviously was unable to restore to a date more than 7 days ago (oldest restore point).

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks, VB.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you set your 'power options' correctly?

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Errrrm.....I assume so. Can you please elaborate? Correctly?

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond, much apreciated.

VB

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Sorry, I should point out that as my grammar wasn't great on the previous post, what I meant was.....What do you mean by set power options correctly?

VB

Edited by valleyboy, 03 September 2011 - 12:49 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi valleyboy
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP and if it is provide the model name or series number as this will enable others to help you better.
Has this been a problem since you took possession of the computer, has it started since you added new hardware or software or have you made any changes to system settings that may explain this?
If you are sure nothing that you have done has caused this then consider returning the computer under warranty to prevent voiding it.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi phillpower2

The extra info that is required:

HP Pavillion DV6 Notebook (dv3112sa)
Intel Core i3
3Gb RAM
64-bit operating system - Windows Home Premium

-Not a problem when the computer was fresh out of the box.
-No hardware changes.
-Installed some software packages - TSMuxeR, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, MediaInfo, WinRAR, Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader.....all still working well for a few days.
-Removed the Norton security free trial and installed Avast! antivirus....not convinced that the Norton product is fully removed even after running their removal tool. Some remnants seem to refuse to be deleted via Windows Explorer. Anyhow, still shuttinh down ok for a few days at this stage.

Next bit, in my opinion (though I am clearly no expert), is significant. Ran windows update and installed a multitude of updates, took a long time. Computer was still shutting down ok after these updates but Windows Update then attempted to install further updates the next time I switched the computer on, some of these updates failed and I seem to have had problems since then. Which is why I restored the system to the earliest available restore point, this has not resolved the issue. Also, at the same time as the Windows uodates, I ran the HP update manager which also updated several of the bundled HP rubbish that came with the computer.

Eerrrm.....think that's about everything! As always, any help very much appreciated.

VB

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
.....Actually, that wasn't everything.

Should have mentioned that the only system settings that I changed were power settings. Laptop now stays on when the lid is shut and never goes into sleep mode. No other settings changed (that I know of).

Opinions on this being a warranty issue please?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Do you know how to revert your power settings back to as when new!

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Yes. Is it really possible that this could prevent the PC shutting down?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes,

Advertisements

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Just reset power options to default settings. No change, still will not shut down.

More info.....PC switches to "shutting down" screen but then hangs there until I elect to hold the power button down. On restart there is sometimes a error message that says that windows has recovered from an unexpected error.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi valleyboy
Can I ask what is the longest amount of time that you have left the notebook before forcing a shutdown and daft as it may seem have you checked that no updates are being installed which will prevent Windows shutting down normally until the downloads complete, if neither factors are relevant then I suggest that you now return the notebook to the place of purchase to prevent voiding the warranty.
FWIW possible causes may include a bad HDD which you are not liable for if you have not damaged the notebook in any way, or a damaged OS which again will be covered unless there is evidence of human interference (deleted files etc).

On restart there is sometimes a error message that says that windows has recovered from an unexpected error.

This is normal as Windows has not completed the shutdown cycle.
Good luck and let us know how it works out with the store.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Thanks for getting back.

I have left it for around 10 minutes, after which it will switch to a blue screen that states some messages. It will then revert to the black screen with white text (windows error recovery) that allows various startup options (safe mode etc.). If I then proceed to startup in safe mode, and then shut the notebook down, it shuts down normally. If I do not select any startup options and it times out, I am then presented with the usual user account selection screen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Return with the laptop to the store and demonstrate exactly what happens.

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Bought online. Will email them tonight and go from there.

Cheers
VB