Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 will not shut down

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Ok, let us know how it works out, hopefully they will be able to sort it remotely.

Advertisements

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hey guys

This is now resolved. I've been busy so apologies for the delay. For reference, this is what sorted it:

The notebook is able to boot to a recovery drive via the F11 key on startup. As it was less than a month old and I have a NAS drive there wasn't really an issue with restoring the factory image as there was no important data stored on the notebook hard drive. Recovery to factory image obviously resolved the problem.

However, the same issue then reappeared two more times while I was trying to figure out what was causing the problem (installing different combinations of software and updates etc.). I eventually noticed via the event viewer that some of the windows updates had failed to install

Next thing that I did was modify system settings to prevent automatic restart on error. This did not resolve the issue but did present me with a permanent BSOD that displayed a description of the error and code (DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE). The BSOD was previously flashing up on the screen too quickly (split second) to be of any use, unchecking the restart on error box resolved this. Googling the BSOD message along with the codes from the event log then led me to beleive that there was some sort of compatibility issue with the network adaptor driver and the windows updates that had failed.

Solution was to download the windows updates then remove the driver for the network adaptor before installing the windows updates. Then restarted the notebook to find that all windows updates had now installed properly. Network adaptor had reinstalled its self as expected.

Notebook is now functioning correctly (shutting down when requested to do so) and has installed further updates without issues.

This problem prompted me to start two other threads on this forum to attampt to resolve other issues individually in case these issues were linked to the no shut down problem. The other threads can now be closed as they have been resolved by the above actions. Threads are here and here.

Thanks for the help.
ATB VB

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Congratulations valleyboy on a successful resolution of the issues you were having with your notebook.
Thank you for posting a comprehensive guide as to how it was resolved so that it may help others in the future :unsure: :)