Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

product key?

• Please log in to reply

valpal44

valpal44

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
im doing a clean install of windows xp home edition but dont know what i did with my product key...what can i do ?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If your XP was registered and validated through Microsoft you can just call them and they will have your authenticated OS and can give you a new validation code.

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
what do you mean? sorry im so frusterated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you first installed your XP you would have had to activate and validate it and register it with Microsoft either through phone or internet. When you do that Microsoft then says that number is unique to your system and name.
If you call them they can get you a new number to activate and validate the new install.
While installing it will ask for your key and if you don't have it you will have 30 days to input it or call Microsoft.

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok so i just call them and tell them i did a clean install of my windows xp but i dont know the product key ? do you know the number by chance? sorry..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When it ask you to validate it should give you the number to call then.

valpal44

valpal44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
it wants me to enter my product key but i dont have it...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
(800) MICROSOFT (642-7676)