Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

another black screen boot issue.. :)

• Please log in to reply

JackAttack209

JackAttack209

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. Let me first say, I've reviewed a few of the other similarly titled posts to make sure mine is not the same as some of these others, and I do not think it is.

I'm using XP home with the most recent service pack.

My wife has lately taken to downloading sewing patterns, and when she tried to move one from C: to a slave drive, Avira gave a virus or malware notification, asking if she would like to remove. She hit yes, and she tells me that it repeated the prompt several times. (Don't know if this is relevant, but..) afterwards, she tried to print some things that would not print. The computer shows it in the queue but it would not print. She noticed that the computer was running poorly, so she decided to use Advanced Spyware Remover to scan for and remove any problems, and then Advanced SystemCare 4 to try to address the performance. This scan took about 5 hours or so, and was no longer showing signs of progressing, so she stopped it and logged off to retry it the next day. When she logged off, the screen went black, with an active mouse cursor, but would not do anything else. She held the power button to turn off the system and went to bed.

All of that brings us to where we are now. Now, when you turn the computer on, it turns on to a black screen with a white underscore text cursor in the top left corner of the screen. Holding Ctrl Alt Del resets the computer and puts it through the BIOS startup, but when it goes through its test, it returns to the black screen. I'm unable to load into Safe mode; holding F8 doesn't do anything. I can enter the BIOS screen, and I can change the boot menu, but I have no windows options.

So far, I've restored the BIOS to it's default settings. Using the windows disc, I've tried to boot from the disc, and gone into the Recovery Console, but I've not changed anything big for fear of screwing something up. I have done one thing from another site - I copied from the windows disk some registry items to a restore point folder (Sam, .default, .. a couple others, which I don't remember.) Those didn't change anything. I did do a chkdsk /p /r.

All of this I did before finding this site; after being referenced to your repair page, I've also tried to repair my windows xp installation. It did find my installation, and when it had to restart, it loaded right back into the blinking screen. I thought maybe it was relevant to my boot order, because I had not changed my boot order in the bios to cd first, but only through the F11 option. So I restarted my computer, did another repair (which it didn't like - it mentioned that I had recently tried to repair it), and made sure to pay attention when it restarted to boot from the cd again. When it came back into the setup screen, it was as though I was at square one without having tried to repair.

I have also checked in my bios to verify that my hardware is recognized. The two hard drives, A drive, and cd drive are fine, but I confess, I don't know how to check if it's seeing my Ram.

One last thing - the laptop I'm using right now does not have a floppy drive.. The crashed one does. Thanks for your time!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I would first try testing your Hard Drive for any errors or damaged by downloading your HD manufacturer bootable image program and burn it to a cd and see if your HD will pass the tests. Maybe your bootable sector is damaged and corrupted.

Hope that helps

JackAttack209

JackAttack209

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Will that test run as a boot disk? As in, since I can't enter Windows at all, will it do the test outside of windows? Thanks.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Yes when you burn the diagnostic boot image it will boot from the cd/dvd-rom so will test your hard drive without you having to enter windows.

Make sure you put your Bios boot sequence so it boots from your cd/dvd first.