Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Poll: Better to shut down or not?

• Please log in to reply

georgeblitz

georgeblitz

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
;) Do you think it is better for the machine to shut down at night or leave it on?? :tazz: Thanks Many repies please!! ;)

Edited by georgeblitz, 03 June 2005 - 07:21 AM.

Advertisements

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
leave it on :tazz: It's easier on the mother board.

Edited by ssone, 03 June 2005 - 07:16 AM.

poorak

poorak

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
;) Do a spywrk ,hide yourself behind the door and see whether ur computer terminates itself or not ..............if it does ,,it's good ,,if it doesn't ..... my god you have spent the whole night behind the door spying ur computer(mind it computer is still on) ........... :tazz: ;)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
All the time you have a pc on you eat in to its operational lifetime and stess the components die to heat. Its something to think about.

comptard

comptard

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
shuting it down then turning it on arfter its cooled is harder on the motherboard.....thats wut ive heard...

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
I've been shutting my pc's down every night for the last 10 years. I have very few problems.....

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
speaking from an electronic engineer prospective, by switching your PC your components especially the surface mounted components on your motherboard will be effected by the heat and they do expand.
If you keep shutting down your pc and turning it on, by expanding and cooling off, the metal structure would break and it would cause a component failure.

of course the above depends on the quality of your machine.

logan11

logan11

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I've been keeping my computer on constantly for around 2 years now. still works great :tazz:. I just turn the monitor off when I'm not using it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
as long as you're behind a firewall and have a good surgeprotector then leaving it on is the best.

speaking from an electronic engineer prospective, by switching your PC your components especially the surface mounted components on your motherboard will be effected by the heat and they do expand.
If you keep shutting down your pc and turning it on, by expanding and cooling off, the metal structure would break and it would cause a component failure.

i've seen (in very rare occurences where there are specific weather circumstances) pci graphics cards, that weren't secured properly, work their way out of the slot enough to not work due to the expansion and contraction of the card. like i said...rare occurance

alphaethan

alphaethan

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I leave my desktop on all the time, component failure don't really occurs, but it definitely depends on your PC's component's quality. Now, laptop is a bit different. Sudden temperature rise and drop is never good for your laptop, so if your laptop is running at high temp most of the time (above recommended temp, 55 deg C), then it's better to let it shut off at night, I think. However, it may also be better to just let it hibernate, which lowers CPU temp, while you are not using it. Something to think about:)

Good Luck!

Best,

Alphaethan

Advertisements

ssone

ssone

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
or a laptop colling pad :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Such extreme stress would only occur if you were turning it on and off repeatedly over short period of time. Your hardware will last longer of you turn it off at night. Also the components that heat up and expand have had this taken into account during its design and sockets etc are designed to be able to handle this slow expansion and contraction, it is only during rapid expansion damage could occur. Also its all plastic now which will return to its original shape if pushed out slightly and the expansion is very small. Its 2005 not 1955 either way its not going to break it but the experts have been saying shut them down for years.
Its also a fire risk and even though its unused a computer still uses alot of power and it is enviromentally irresponsible to leave them on, and expensive.

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
My few cents ;)

During the heating season (Labor day thru Memorial Day in my neck of the woods) I leave my desk top computer run 24/7. I figure its 100% efficient as all the waste heat goes to heat my house anyhow.

I have a broadband router between my PC and my DSL modem, and I switch the router off whenever I'm not at the computer to make it a little safer from the internet. I also have it setup to do the AV scans and backups at 4:00 AM automatically. I don't have to think very much about doing them manually.

On the other, during the summer I shut it off at night to keep things cooler in the house, and then have to do all those scans manually.

I agree with folks who worry about the repeated heating/cooling cycles. But I also thinks its kind of a moot point. Good QC and good design has left the desktop environment, and all we can buy today is different grades of commodity junk, never intended to last beyond a couple of operating system releases from MS.

I've been through more than a dozen computers and they have all died from planned Intel/Microsoft hardware/software obsolescence rather than any particular hardware failure.

Gotta love em. The alternatives are generally not legal :tazz:

EMCGuy

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I never leave my Desktop or Laptop on overnight unless I fall asleep and forget about it. Even if I go out somewhere during the day, I shut them down.

I'm an engineer and to tell the truth, in my ~26 years of being around computers, I honestly think it doesn't matter one way or the other.

I just can't see leaving them on all the time.

makai

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

However, it may also be better to just let it hibernate, which lowers CPU temp, while you are not using it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is absolutely NO CPU temp in hibernate !!!! The CPU does not work in hibernate...I mean = to room temp.

Edited by JimB007, 03 October 2005 - 07:45 AM.