Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Poll: Better to shut down or not?

• Please log in to reply

chirp

chirp

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Every night i always put my computer in standby, it starts up fast when i need it to

Advertisements

JimB007

JimB007

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Every night i always put my computer in standby, it starts up fast when i need it to

View Post

As long as you remember that in case of a powerfailure you loose data, which is not the case in hibernation, but the startup is slower.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
When you shutdown the RAM is flushed so you know when you restart you do not have stuff left in RAM, Yes stuff does get left in Ram and the only way to clear it completly is by shutting down. You should do this a least once a week

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

as long as you're behind a firewall and have a good surgeprotector then leaving it on is the best.
i've seen (in very rare occurences where there are specific weather circumstances) pci graphics cards, that weren't secured properly, work their way out of the slot enough to not work due to the expansion and contraction of the card. like i said...rare occurance

View Post

i work in arizona and i see that much more often than i did in iowa

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I say shut 'em down. The hard drive and the power supply are the two most stressed components and they will have fairly definite lifetimes. Also, the likely hood of a power surge doing major damage will be reduced. In fact, unplug 'em if a storm comes up.

phua zheng hao

phua zheng hao

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
if your system having good cooling system , i suggest not to shut down unless u are not using it for days. graphic card(nvdia,ATI) these days have at least two years warranty ,some power supply have life time warranty(ACBEL) and motherboard also having 2 years warranty so i dont think it will spoilt so easily :) ,but what i am affraid of was the performance of the computer. the harddisk will run slower n slower if its been using for months without shutting down. the time needed to load a file, the time needed to open your movies will take longer time. so , find a casing which have a fan blowing your hardisk to maintain the performance of hardisk or upgrade ur hardisk whenever u feel that the system is running too slow. :tazz: