To update the printer driver on Windows XP manually, follow the steps below
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type control printers, and then click OK.
The "Printers and Faxes" window opens.
- Under Printer Tasks in the navigation pane on the left, click Add a printer. The Add Printer Wizard opens.
- On the first page of the Add Printer Wizard, click Next.
- On the next page, click Local printer attached to this computer.
Important Make sure that the Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer check box is not selected.
- Click Next.
- On this page, you must select the port that the printer will use to communicate with the computer. If your printer is connected to a USB port, select the USB port option in the Use the following port list otherwise select LPT. Then click Next.
- On this page, click Have Disk. The Install From Disk dialog box opens.
- In the Install From Disk dialog box, click Browse, and then locate the folder to which you extracted the printer driver files.
- When you have located the correct folder, click Open.
- The path of your folder should now appear in the Copy manufacturer's files from box in the Install From Disk dialog box. Click OK.
- The printers that you can install should be listed in the Install Printer Software dialog box. Select the printer that you are trying to connect, and then click Next.
- If you are prompted to use an existing driver, select Replace existing driver, and then click Next. When you select to replace the existing driver, Windows will try to replace the current files on your system with the new ones that you downloaded.
- On the next page, click Next if you want to accept the suggested printer name and use the printer as your default printer. Otherwise, change these settings to what you prefer, and then click Next.
- If you see the Printer Sharing page next in the wizard, you can share your printer so that other computers on your home network can use it to print. Click Share name, and then specify a name for the shared printer. Otherwise, click Do not share this printer. After you have made your selection, click Next. You may be asked to enter optional location information for the printer. Type the location of the printer (for example, Home Office), and then click Next. DO NOT USE THIS PLEASE so you will click - DO NOT SHARE
- On the Print Test Page page of the wizard, click Yes to print a test page. Then click Next, and then click Finish.
- If the test page is printed successfully, you are finished.
Edited by Macboatmaster, 09 September 2011 - 06:20 AM.