Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Patchy wireless network

• Please log in to reply

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I installed a wireless card (MicroNet brand - cheap) into my parent's pc a few months ago, it has been fine since but has been patchy - sometimes it would not connect and others it would. There is nothing that could be interfering with the wireless signal. As I said, in the past sometimes it would work and others not.

More recently it wouldn't connect at all, so I reinstalled the drivers. Now it HARDLY connects. Today it has done for a short time, enough for my father to get on google and search for autotrader, then it stopped working.

Any help at all gladly appreciated, it's driving them mad and m too because I'm meant to be "the expert"!!

Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
This issue happening with any other wireless devices in your network?

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
nope, my brother's laptop always connects and is very stable.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep, that would be my analysis too. Try another wireless card (decent make/model) in the computer and see if the problem continues.

LukeMcD

LukeMcD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
thanks, any recommendations?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
One with good reviews perhaps? I seem to have good luck with both Netgear and D-Link, also TP-Link and also an ASUS wireless card once. All work reasonably well.