Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows vista: chkdsk error

• Please log in to reply

KeelyK

KeelyK

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys, I accidently dropped my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-NR32L) this morning after closing it and going to put it away. I picked it up and opened it and it showed the "windows closing down" (or something) page and then a black screen popped up and said the following:

Checking file system on C
type of file system is NTFS
volume label is OS
----------------------------------

One of your disk needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel disk check but it is strongly recommended. Cancell by pressign any key

I allowed it run and it seems to have frozen. It has been running for 11 hours now and I don't know what to do. if someone could help me!

Here is a picture of where it is frozen on: http://i1208.photobu...82/94a3814e.jpg

Advertisements

KeelyK

KeelyK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone? It's been over a day now and it still seems frozen, nothings changed from the picture. Is there anything I can/should be doing at this point? thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi KeelyK :) sorry to hear you are having laptop issues.
The HDD or the operating system may have become damaged by the impact, it may be possible to repair the OS but if the HDD is damaged then it will need to be replaced, depending on whether you have the Vista disk will determine the way to proceed but if possible follow the guidance @ http://windows.micro...ecovery-Console
Good luck, let us know how it goes or if we can assist in any way.