Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help installing a New Hard Drive into my Pavillion Dv4

• Please log in to reply

Jason Barnes

Jason Barnes

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So my last Hard drive crashed and I got a new HD sent from HP. I installed it and when i start the computer it goes directly to a black screen with the words "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" From here I have tried taking it out and letting it sit then putting it back in, Pressing the any key 50 million times, checking the BIOS, doing every test (They all passed). Now I'm stuck and fustrated.

This is the HD they sent me "SPS-DRV HDD 320GB 7200RPM SATA GDE"

Someone please help me.

I'm sending this from my other laptop.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you install the OS to the drive?
The message you are getting suggest you have a blank hard drive with no OS installed and that is why it is asking for the installation disk to boot the system.

Jason Barnes

Jason Barnes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea, I have a Windows 7 software dvd. It's like the cd-rom isn't recognizing that anything is there. I've tried booting from the CD-Rom directly as well. Still nothing.

Edited by Jason Barnes, 05 September 2011 - 11:38 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you set the boot sequence so the cdrom is the first boot device in the bios?
Is the Win7 disk a full version or a upgrade disk?

Jason Barnes

Jason Barnes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I didn't change the sequence, but I the disk is a System Recovery disk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the Recovery cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:

"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

Rebelle49

Rebelle49

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

I instaled a new HHD in my acer aspire 7250. The moment i open it i get this message : no bootable device ... I cant get to my setup. I tried f2,f9,del,esc, name it i tried them all. Is there any hope or my laptop's dead ? Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Rebelle49

Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance is already been offered to the OP, it will also avoid people receiving unwanted email notifications.
Please start a new topic and we will be happy to assist you there.