1) Recovery console, yes I referring to that screen, so I'll leave it be until we finish with this.
2) That really long "key" you asked me about, according to some words there, it sounds like it could be related to the computer itself as it mentions HP, Pavilion, Athon, AMD, 2400+. But I really have no idea what it is.
3) As for the temp, last year I did a really thorough cleaning and even lubricated the main fan. But, I went ahead and cleaned everything again - no lube though, and all 3 of the fans started immediately with no problems. So I have no idea what could be making it run so hot. Old maybe? The computer is kept in a AC room that stays about 75F. It is never in direct sun. It has about 6" of space all around all sides and is not anywhere near anything that also gives off heat (ie, outside wall, other appliance, etc.) Do you have any other ideas?
4) I ran the msconfig you mentioned. Within about 10min, I finished. The computer is back to normal with the shut down screen popping up immediately and the computer shuts down in a normal time. I actually did not run the Process Expl as you suggested and I did not turn on everything until I found the culprit. I finally left unchecked only 4 programs that I know I never use and shouldn't have been checked in the first place. So far, the speed is back to normal. Thanks.
I did run the Process Expl after I turned back on everything except those 4 unneeded items and the interrupts line you mentioned was still at 1.56.
5) Yes, I can connect to the internet, but with some problems including what's below...
6) So, I'm now curious as to my original problems which you can see in the first entry. To recap, they are:
A) Windows updates will not update
B) IE will not install (I connect with Chrome at the moment, but don't like it)
C) I get messages saying that without IE, I cannot manually update the computer from the windows web site.
D) Nothing from Windows office will work, word, excel, etc.
E) WMP, windows media player, will not install
F) I don't know when to reinstall SP3 (SP2 is currently installed)
Note1: ALL of the above worked perfectly up until 2 weeks ago when windows wouldn't start up and I had to do a system recovery. I had IE8, SP3, WMP, all MS Office, and updates happened automatically.
Note2: In my original post, I mentioned that Int Options was not in the control panel. It has reappeared as of about 1.5 weeks ago.
Note3: I have not tried to reinstall or work on anything from the above list A-F since you started helping me.
Do you now know what caused the above mentioned problems or how to fix them?
Thanks again for all your time with is. Also, fyi, on late Monday night, I'll be leaving on a 3 week trip. Since this is my desktop, it obviously will not be coming with. If the problems are not fixed before I leave, then I'll contact you when I return. I want to reiterate that I do not have anyone else to help me and will still your help when I return. I apologize for this as I'm sure its a problem to revisit an old case after 3 weeks of getting cold.
Edited by luminix, 11 September 2011 - 08:29 AM.