Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice for BSOD with various codes please

• Please log in to reply

Iceberg_UK

Iceberg_UK

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,

Apologies, I had posted this in a pinned board incorrectly.

My post was as follows, now moved to (hopefully) the correct place :))

Hi All,

This seems to be the place to come for BSoD answers. I have two PCs running Windows XP. They have both started blue screening with various associated messages. A selection is:-
CID Handle Deletion
Bad Pool Caller
IRQ Not Less or Equal
No more IRP Stack Locations
PFN List Corrupt
Invalid Process Detach Attempt

They seem to be different every time with no pattern I can see.

I have not installed anything on either machine recently, although there may have been a windows update. Both systems have been stable for a number of years (one eight years, the other three years). I would be less concerned if I'd installed something, or if it was just one machine, but I haven't and it's both.

I'm beginning to suspect virus, but nothing shows up in AVG / Security Essentials. Spybot S&D won't complete as it blue screens during the search.

The older machine is less of a problem, I'm using it now, but the other one goes within a minute of being powered up.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received please?

Many thanks in advance!
Jason

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi Iceberg_UK sorry to hear you are having this issue.
Before we look at the Windows Stop messages can we have some computer details, to avoid confusion we must deal with one PC at a time, give us as much information as you can, amount of Ram, HDD capacity, CPU, video card etc.
I noticed that you are running AVG and MSE, this is not a good idea as it can cause the exact type of issue that you are having now + it can have the opposite affect and make your PC vulnerable also the less Ram and processor power you have the worse the BSoDs will be.
AVG is very good but it is also demanding on system resources consider uninstalling AVG and sticking with MSE and see if the BSoDs stop.
Some AV options courtesy of Admin http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

Iceberg_UK

Iceberg_UK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Phillpower2,

Thanks for your response. I shall endeavour to provide the information you are after.

One PC at a time works for me, especially as one of them now refuses to power up at all, so I'm only left with one. I was using AVG on one machine, and MSE on the other, it's the MSE one that remains operation (apart from having to run it in safe mode). I found that AVG was resouce hungry, hence switched to MSE on the other machine.

It is an ASUS V-series desktop. It has 4Gb RAM, an Athlon 64 x 2 dual core 5600+ 2.9Ghz processor. XP 2002 with service pack 3.

I think it has a PCS HD4670 512Mb Dual DVI GDDR3 graphics card.

500Gb SATA HDD.

I have a blu ray / HD-DVD drive (single drive with both Blu-ray and HD-DVD capability).

Please let me know if you require anything else.

Many thanks,
Jason

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the requested information it is helpful.
If AVG was ever used on this PC was it uninstalled using the correct procedure as not doing so can also cause cause conflicts http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Can you provide the PSU (power supply unit) details please, brand name, model name or number (not serial) and the output, we need to make sure you have enough clean and stable power first, then move on to other checks.

Iceberg_UK

Iceberg_UK

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Apologies for the delayed response, I'm not able to get it to work too often.

I have an Overclockers value 650w power supply. It came with the machine, and Overclockers are usually pretty good, I've been using them for years.

Many thanks,
Jason