Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU cooling?

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
My new smartphone (an HTC Desire HD) has a 1GHz CPU.

How goes it stay cool enough to prevent a meltdown?
As far as I can ascertain there is no fan or heat sink inside, as there isn't the space, and I've tried searching via Google but can't find a simple answer!

I was trying to find out as the Otterbox Defender I bought to protect the phone includes a synthetic shock-absorber layer that encloses all of the phone except the touch screen, making the phone even less cool than without it.

Any geek out there who can tell me please?

Advertisements

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Mobile phones has a cooler inside of them but it isn't what you expect to see
it more like a tin cover for the IC

anyway i wouldn't recommend any modifying on your Mobile Phone try contacting the manufacturer with your info
i think they will aid if there were a Problem in your HTC phone

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks for reply todo, but I wasn't intending modifying my new phone.
I was just interested to know how the CPU was kept cool in such a confined space, bearing in mind how much space and cooling fans, heat sinks etc; it takes to keep a PC's CPU cool.
I was also unsure if the extra layers of the Otterbox Defender increased the chance of the phone overheating.

todo

todo

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
the Mobile Phones Chips are designed in a different way than Computer CPU
they usually use a Lower speed with a smaller die which will emit Lower Heat with a Lower performance,
usually they use as i said Before a small aluminum Plate or the Inner chassis as a Heat sink depend on how it's designed and by the way the Mobile Phone CPU aren't Designed to work like
a computer CPU for calculating a Large Chunks of information and Graphic
and will Be idle Most of the Time which it self is a Heat reducing Method

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Thanks for explanation todo.