Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need additional cooling for my computer?

• Please log in to reply

mitch0816

mitch0816

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone,

I'm new to these forums and am planning on building my first computer. I just had a question about whether or not you guys think I need to include additional cooling fans for this build?

CPU: AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 965 3.40 Ghz (C4T4)
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97-EVO (970/SB950 Chipset) AMD3+ Ready
RAM: Kingston 16G Kit (4Gx4)1333
HardDrive: WD Blue 1TB SATA3 32M 7200RPM
Op. Drive: SAMSUNG DVD-RW Dual Layer
GPU: ASUS 1G ATI(AMD) HD6870
Case: Antec 300
PSU: Antec EarthPower 750w
Monitor: LG 20" E2060T-PN LED BackLight LCD Monitor

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi mitch0816, :)

I just had a question about whether or not you guys think I need to include additional cooling fans for this build?

Even though your selected case has good airflow, I would still install 1 front intake fan or, if you don't mind blue lights, go for the Three Hundred Illusion,

http://www.newegg.co...6^11-129-066-TS

If this is a gaming rig? 16GB of RAM is overkill.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Those top mounted "blow hole" fans work great! You may not need a front mounted fan, though I admit, I like having one as they ensure there is a lot of cool air moving across the hard drives. If only one HD, probably no problem. But when more than one HD, space can get cramped - not good when trying to avoid heat build up.

That said, if you do opt for a front mounted fan, get a quality fan with precision ball or fluid bearing to minimize noise.