Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 computer slower than a snail on a hot day

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tammons2

tammons2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a toshiba laptop that is just over 1 year old. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on an Intel i3 processor @ 2.26 GHz with 4GB of RAM. It seems as if everything on my computer was fine until 2 days ago. I left the computer on in hibernation mode as I always do overnight. When I returned in the morning I attempted to reconnect to the internet, but for some reason I was showing no connections. This has happened a few times before, but the problem is always solved when I restart the computer. So I select restart, and it begins to do so. However, it takes a ridiculously long time to boot. I'm talkin like 10 or 15 minutes here. This has never happened before. It was always within 2 minutes or so. When I get to the log on screen I type in my password and it then takes another 10 minutes or so to load my desktop. Any applications I try to run are ridiculously slow if they even run at all. I am able to connect to the internet now, but it does me no good because none of my browsers will load. I've tried to use system restore, but mysteriously all of my restore points have been wiped out. I've tried restarting the computer several times both in safe mode and normally. Running in safe mode makes no difference to the boot speed, and little difference to the application load time. About 6 months ago I had some nasty malware problems so I installed malwarebyte's anti-malware. I try and run a scan with that and the program freezes every time at 1m17s when it's scanning a windows defender file extension. I also have AVG free 9.0, I have tried to run scans with that as well, the computer just freezes and becomes unusable. I've already run a start-up repair, and a memory check (both of which took hours) and have come up clean. I'm running a disk repair now as I'm typing this on a friend's macbook. But I'm growing impatient with that because it gets to stage 4 and through about 17000 files and stops progressing. Unfortunately, every time I restart the computer it will run the disk check, so I can't even log on at this point. Should I just let the thing sit at this point to see if it will complete the disk check? I ran windows performance diagnostic and maintanence tasks in Safe Mode and the only error that it came up with was that superfetch was off. I assumed that was because I was in Safe mode. I have not yet been able to try and run the diagnostic in normal windows because of the freezing disk check. I have also even tried booting my windows repair disks, and the only option that I have not already run is the toshiba repair wizard, and I've not been able to get that to work . . . Okay, I was just able to cancel the disk check. But the original problem still exists. Is there anything else I can do that I haven't done. I am loathe to take it to the repai shop because they'll just charge me out the eyeballs for it, and I'm an intern with precious few dollars to spare. If someone could provide some insight it would be much appreciated . . .

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hello tammons2 and welcome to G2G! :)

My nick is maliprog and I'll will be your technical support on this issue. Before we start please read my notes carefully:

NOTE:
  • Malware removal is NOT instantaneous, most infections require several courses of action to completely eradicate.
  • Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean
  • Kindly follow my instructions in the order posted. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans or fix on your own without my direction.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.
  • If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply.
  • You must reply within 3 days or your topic will be closed

We must do check disk ...

Step 1

• Go to Start -> My Computer
  • Right click on C: disk and clik on Properties
  • Click on tab Tools and click on Check now... button
  • Check Automatically fix system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • Click Start button
  • Confirm schedule disk check next time computer starts with Yes button
  • Restart your system and wait while system checks your disk for errors

Step 2

We need to remove AVG from your system because it's out of date . Please download AVG Remover and run it in order to remove AVG. A

You can install new version later but now we will use AVAST

Let's install the free Avast:

http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download

Once you have it installed and it has updated, right click on it and select Open Avast! User Interface then click on Scan Computer, then on
Boot-Time Scan then Schedule Now. Reboot and let it run a scan. It will take many hours (like overnight) and unfortunately you may need to check back with it once in a while to see if it needs an input from you. If the scan hangs that may indicate a hardware problem.

Step 3

Please don't forget to include these items in your reply:

• Does AVAST found anything and was it able to remove it?
  • Update on how is your system now
It would be helpful if you could post each log in separate post

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.