Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

backup not running

• Please log in to reply

Krishna Kishore

Krishna Kishore

• Pip
  • 0 posts
Hi all,
I am new to this website and thought you people could me help me out of this wierd and irritating problem I am facing with my system. I have recently used recovery discs to restore factory settings to my HP laptop. I was previously using windows 7 premium and backedup all the system files and other files and saved the backup on an external disc. Now I am working on windows vista home basic but unfortunately not able to run the backup setup file on vista. It is showing error as "The program has requested the runtime to exit in an unusual way. Please contact your technical support for assistance." It would be very helpful if someone could assist me in this.
Thank you in advance and treat assured if at all we meet :)

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Unfortunately, backups made with Windows Vista's backup tool are not compatible with Windows 7 Backup & Restore utility.
You should have created the backups in Vista using a third-party tool which is compatible with both versions of Windows,
or simply by copying folders manually to another drive (the manual method is my preferred method as it avoids any compatibility problems
and allows you to access individual files from the backup copies instead of having to restore the entire backup).

There is a possible way out of your dilemma here though, but I've never tried it myself:

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 06 September 2011 - 01:51 PM.