Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot connect to adhoc wireless network

• Please log in to reply

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My laptop connects to my wireless router and also file sharing with my desktop works. I brought my laptop to my girlfriend's house, where we created a wireless ad hoc network on her desktop using a wireless usb network. She tells me this has worked with other laptops. My laptop seems to see the network, but it won't connect. It indicares "Connecting..." for about 30 seconds, and then that window disappears, but no connection is made. We have tried various option changes to network authentication and encryption to no avail. I have run out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Her desktop is running Vista. My laptop is running XP.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 07 September 2011 - 06:40 AM.

Advertisements

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
No one has even a clue where to start?

vinny_the_hack

vinny_the_hack

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Please close this thread. The problem appears to be that my laptop's radio transceiver had been inadvertantly turned off.

Edited by vinny_the_hack, 08 September 2011 - 07:21 PM.