Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive driving me crazy

• Please log in to reply

bree2981

bree2981

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had bought a sony vaio vgn- nw150J 2 yrs ago.after the first 7 months the hard drive went out.I had replaced the hard drive with a sata western digital and recovered the computer and worked fine.not even a few months after it happened again. So I went back and bought another sata blue wd500bevt.I tried to recover the disk and it shows when first turned on." Smart detects hard drive problem press f1 to continue " I press f1 and the says "no operating system found " the recovery disks will not boot and my computer will not let me get into bios. I had put this computer away and bought a new one but now that the new one got stolen I'm eager to fix the vaio.pz help its an expensive computer and sony service is not any help

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
bree2981

Welcome to GeesktoGo. Firstly sorry you have waited a couple of days for a reply. This is due to the vast number of posts on this site.

after the first 7 months the hard drive went out.I had replaced the hard drive with a sata western digital and recovered the computer and worked fine

I appreciate NOW, that it is not matter of any guarantee claim, but was it then a guarantee issue and if so what transpired, was there any apparent reason for the failure.

HDD`s do fail, but the usual reason after such a short life span, would be a sudden shock, whilst the drive is running. This can so easily cause a crash of the read write head.

Secondly could you clarify that this

not even a few months after it happened again.

which I have taken to mean, that the second hard drive worked for - a very short period of time., if so are we talking less than the seven months of the first and was the message now received

Smart detects hard drive problem press f1 to continue " I press f1 and the says "no operating system found "

the same as when it failed before you put it away, having bought the now stolen new one.

I appreciate that all of my post does not start to work towards an analysis and suggestions, but could you please clarify the points I raise and provide also a brief list of what you have tried, as that will save both of us time.

Finally you will I hope appreciate that I have, at this stage, no way of knowing your level of knowledge, but when I mention HDD failure. This is actually a copy from your computer manual.

Handling the Built-in Storage Device
The built-in storage device (hard disk drive or solid state drive) has a high storage density and reads or writes data in a short
time. However, it can be easily damaged if improperly used. If the built-in storage device is damaged, the data cannot be
restored. To prevent losing data, you should be careful when handling your computer.
Features and options in this section may not be available on your computer.
See the specifications to find out about the configuration of your computer.
To avoid damaging your hard disk drive
❑ Do not subject your computer to sudden movements.
❑ Keep your computer away from magnets.
❑ Do not place your computer in a location subject to mechanical vibration or in an unstable position.
❑ Do not move your computer while the power is on.
❑ Do not turn off the power or restart your computer while reading or writing data to the hard disk drive.
❑ Do not use your computer in a place subject to extreme changes in temperature.
❑ Do not remove the hard disk drive from your computer.- this one of course being a little irrelevant in the circumstances.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2011 - 05:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
bree2981

Have you made any progress on this problem please and do you still require help.
Please do respond rather than just leaving the issue.
If you still require help, we at GeekstoGo are ready to assist.
If the problem has been solved please indicate to that effect on your reply.
Thank you