Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blinking Green Light

• Please log in to reply

sgome31

sgome31

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
i have a dell desktop that when i plug it in there power button light turns on and starts blinking green. there is no fans running or the hard drive. i am not able to turn on the computer on at all.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi sgome31
There are many different models of Dell desktop can you please provide us with some additional details as in which model name or series number (not serial) see the list of the various Dell desktops below and you will understand why more details about yours would be helpful.

Inspiron (budget desktop and notebook computers)
Studio (mainstream desktop and laptop computers)
XPS (high-end desktop and notebook computers)
Studio XPS (high-end design-focus of XPS systems and extreme multimedia capability)
Alienware (high-performance gaming systems)
Adamo (high-end luxury laptop)
Dell EMR(electronic medical records)

A blinking green power light may suggest that the computer is in stand-by mode, try clicking the mouse, tapping keys on the keyboard or briefly pressing the power on button, if you are using a battery powered keyboard and mouse try replacing the batteries, if you are using the PS2 (wired type) ensure that both connections are securely in place at the rear of the tower.
Let us know the requested details and how the suggestions go.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
My computer is a dell optiplex gx270. I have tried all of that bit still nothing. The computer can be disconnected for days and as soon as plug it in it starts to blink

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
This suggests hardware failure with the possible culprit being a bad PSU (power supply unit) Dell like other named brands for the main use inferior quality PSUs to keep costs down and ultimately they are usually the first thing that fails, sometimes with drastic consequences such as a fried MB, CPU etc or in fact the whole system burns, your PSU is one of the 3 below, none of these would even run a modern add on video card, also be aware that as this is an older PC the PSU is a non propriety type as in the actual size and shape of the PSU and the type of system connections, see the attached link http://www.compu-zon...p-n-03y147.html

Power
DC power supply:
Wattage
small form-factor computer: 160 W
small desktop computer: 210 W
small mini-tower computer: 250 W

There should be 4 diagnostic lights on the back panel can you check these and let us know what is displayed please, dependent on this information having your PSU tested by a tech with the appropriate equipment and knowledge may be required.

sgome31

sgome31

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I just found out that the light is not actually green. It's yellow. I did some testing and found out that the power supply is not working properly. I have to replace the power supply but I am guessing I have to order it from dell because of the shape?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks for the update.

but I am guessing I have to order it from dell because of the shape?

That may not be necessary, here is a suggestion http://www.discounte...uct_list&c=5495
Unfortunately as I`m in the UK I don`t know anything about this company but on the face of it they look respectable.
Let us know when you are back up and running or if we can assist you in any way.