Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What TV can be used for a PC monitor?

• Please log in to reply

quicksun

quicksun

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I just bought a new computer and I wanted a big monitor so I bought ($395) a Vizio 32" 1080P TV and tried to connect my computer to it using a HDMI cable. Although both my computer and TV have HDMI connectors the connection didn't work. To use this TV as a monitor I will be forced to make the connection with a component three wire connection in order to connect a PC to it. Are there other 1080P 32" TV's out there that will operate with a computer via HDMI connection?

Thanks for any help,

quicksun

Advertisements

johnb44

johnb44

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
There may be an easy fix for this. Turn your computer off turn the TV on amd be certain the input is set to HDMI. Turn on your computer and it may work there is something about the handshake that some monitors do not like.

quicksun

quicksun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for getting back to me johnb44. The TV menu to set up the connection to the PC is grayed out until a component video connection is made. This prevents me from doing any adjustments to the TV. I have given up on it anyway and returned it to the store. I got another TV, a Panasonic 32" to try out. It has a VGA connection in the back for a PC, so I gave that a try. It kind of worked, but I want 1920x1080P resolution and the Panasonic would not even come close to that resolution. When I tried connecting to the TV via HDMI to HDMI, that completely failed. So I tried DVI to HDMI and that also failed. Those last two connection didn't work at all...blank screen. I have a new EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 2GB video card. It works wonderful when connected to my 24" HDMI computer monitor, but I can't make a HDMI connection to a 32" TV.

Any other comments? Are some TV's more tolerant toward computers than others?

Thanks,
quicksun

dontput

dontput

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This thing fixed already?

Anyways you can try right clicking on the desktop of your computer. Go to Graphic properties, it needs to be set it there.

quicksun

quicksun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Dontput,
I also tried your suggestion to change the graphic properties and that didn't work either. I "solved" my problem be buying a 27" Samsung computer monitor. I easily connect it to my new computer HDMI to HDMI and I am very happy. Although I no longer need to know how to connect a TV to a computer, I wonder why it is so difficult to do.
quicksun

Edited by quicksun, 27 September 2011 - 11:22 PM.

SJ Danny

SJ Danny

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
How about using an HDMI to DVI input?

I'm currently Using and VGA/RGB (TV) to DVI (PC) and it works just fine, im at 1920x1080.

quicksun

quicksun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi SJ Danny,
Yes, it tried an HDMI to DVI also. It seems those computers that I tried connecting to had a VGA input that they wanted a computer connected to. When I connected my computer via DVI to VGA converter to the TV VGA I didn't get very good resolution.
squicksun