Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer noisy when online

• Please log in to reply

wasilla

wasilla

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have a Compaq Presario CW5600Y/AMD ATHLON X2-250/ It works perfectly, but when I'm online, surfing around, I can hear the computer working (same sounds as when you first turn on your computer and everything is waking up).
Is this normal? My older computer (also an HP) was pretty silent (this one has been a little noisy from day one. I can ignore it if I know it is normal. I don't get this "noise" when I'm offline. What do you think?

I am running Windows 7 (2.8 GHz AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor)

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 September 2011 - 12:14 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi wasilla
I couldn`t find anything relating to a Compaq Presario CW5600Y could it possibly be CQ5600Y like the one at this link
http://h20000.www2.h...rodTypeId=12454
It is possible that you are noticing nothing more than extra and more efficient system cooling but we can check your temps for you as a precaution;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

wasilla

wasilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hi wasilla
I couldn`t find anything relating to a Compaq Presario CW5600Y could it possibly be CQ5600Y like the one at this link
http://h20000.www2.h...rodTypeId=12454
It is possible that you are noticing nothing more than extra and more efficient system cooling but we can check your temps for you as a precaution;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image

I apologize Phillpower2, my computer IS a CQ5600Y. I installed the speedfan program you suggested. The numbers I got were:
Fan1: 1911
Fan2: 956
Fan3: 0
GPU 0c
Temp1: 38c
Temp2: 128c
Temp3: 10c
HDO: 28c
Temp1: 40c
Core: 12c

You circled some readings at the bottom of the screenshot you posted, but nothing ever appeared in those circles when I ran the program.

I am beginning to think that the noise I am hearing is coming from my Norton's "safe surfing" feature of my anti-virus program. I'm wondering if that safety feature is making my computer work as I surf around to various facebook pages as well as online games. If I stay on any given page for a while, the computer is silent, but starts making "working" noises when I start to surf again.
Thank you for your time and help.

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Norton is a very good AV software but it is also very demanding on system resources and may explain momentary intense fan activity but not prolonged spells, this would not be good for hardware.
A couple of those readings are a bit off so can you download and run HWMonitor from the attached link so that we can take a second look at an alternative reading;
http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html post an actual screenshot of the readings please.
To capture and post a screenshot I use the method detailed below;

when you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would...

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :)

wasilla

wasilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you so much for your reply, and for the screen shot instructions.
Coleen

Attached Thumbnails

• geek screen shot.jpg

wasilla

wasilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I have NO evidence for thinking this, but I do not think this is a fan problem. My computer is totally silent except for when I am going from web site to web site and then it is NOT a fan noise, but more of a "computer working hard" noise sort of a gentle rumble (hard to describe).
Coleen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Your temps look ok so no worries there, it may be as I said the fan kicking in when the computer is under load.
Unless the noise gets any worse it should not cause any problems, if the noise gets any worse have a tech look at it and if the computer is still covered by warranty have it checked now.

wasilla

wasilla

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thank you VERY much for your help!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome :)