Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD-Rom Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

skeegotog

skeegotog

• Pip
  • 3 posts
XP OS. CD-Rom Drive will only 'see' the cd if it is in the drive when the PC is rebooted. Therefore, I can't install 2-disc software. Thought it must be the CD-Rom Drive, so I bought a new one, installed it, it does the same thing. Thought it must be a PC setting of some kind, but I have no idea where to go. Ideas? Thanks.

Advertisements

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
How is your cd drive connected, on a separate ide cable?
Is your MoBo bios updated to the latest version?
Does your cdrom drive have the latest firmware?
Is XP recognising your cdrom drive correctly? (system/hardware/devicemanager)
Are there any "!" in device manager?
Are your MoBo drivers correctly installed, what MotherBoard do you have?

Give as much info as you can and I will try to help.

Edited by Webslinger, 01 June 2005 - 07:21 AM.

skeegotog

skeegotog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The cd drive is internal, so not a separate ide cable.
The MoBo bios has not been updated, to my knowledge. I don't know how to do that.
The cdrom is currently one I just bought and installed. I dont know how to check on the latest firmware. XP does recognize the cdrom drive correctly, no yellow or red or "i" showing.
I presume the MoBo drivers are correctly installed. Everything else appears to work correctly. (Thanks for helping.)

skeegotog

skeegotog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Another interesting factor. My other cdrom drive, which is a burner, operates the same way - can't see the cd unless it is inserted and rebooted. Also, the "A" drive won't see a floppy. This a relatively new situation. They all worked properly earlier. I tried to restore to an earlier time, but nothing has worked so far.