Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot format my pen drive!

• Please log in to reply

tyler13

tyler13

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello all,

i am a new member here, i have a 16bg pendrive and all my important documents on it. Lucky for me i had a backup but when i wanted to format my pendrive it says

"Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of the

drive."

i have tried searching on google but got nothing. i have tried unblocker and then formating but that didnt work out either.

please do help .

thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi tyler13 :)
Try this http://download.cnet...4-10974082.html
Let us know how it works out.

tyler13

tyler13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
dear phillpower2,

i downloaded the app like u said HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool when i started formating my pen drive the following message crept up

"the specified device is currently used by other applications please close them before formating the device"

And when i open the pendrive from my computer there is one folder which never gets deleted forlder name is "new folder"

i know its a virus "regsvr.exe" which keeps regenerating itself and i guess in return wont let me format

any help is appreciated.

thank you

Edited by tyler13, 09 September 2011 - 02:12 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Whenever you plug a USB drive in your system, a window will appear asking you what you want to do with the drive. Don’t click on Ok, just choose ‘Cancel’. Open the Command Prompt by typing ‘cmd‘ in the run box. In the command prompt type the drive letter: and press enter . Now type dir /w/a and press enter.

This will display a list of the files in the pen drive. Check whether the following files are there or not

* Autorun.inf
* Ravmon.exe
* New Folder.exe
* svchost.exe
* Heap41a
* or any other exe file which may be suspicious.

If any of the above files are there, then probably the USB drive is infected. In command prompt type attrib -r -a -s -h *.* and press enter. This will remove the Read Only, Archive, System and hidden file attribute from all the files. Now just delete the files using the command del filename. example del Ravmon.exe. Delete all the files that are suspicious. To be on a safer side, just scan the USB drive with an anti virus program to check whether it is free of virus or not. Now remove the drive and plug it again. In most of the cases, the real culprit turns out to be the “Autorun.inf” file which mostly gets executed when someone clicks Ok in the dialog window which appears above. Thus the infections can spread.

SRX660

tyler13

tyler13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
dear srx660

i did like u said and found this files

autorun.inf
regsvr.exe
New Folder.exe
bc2.msi
wmpinfo.xml
ibbal.cmd

i tried deleting the inf and exe files by del command but cmd wouldnt delete it.

i tried formating the drive by cmd early on but it won't format. and i guess am slow on the virus deletion am not that good at that area.

thank you for the help though :)

tyler13

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In command prompt type attrib -r -a -s -h *.* and press enter. This will remove the Read Only, Archive, System and hidden file attribute from all the files. Then try deleting the files.

SRX660

Parash

Parash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried even this cmd prompt process. By typing the drive letter followed by :. But it shows that the parameter is incorrect. What to do now?

Parash

Parash

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried even this cmd prompt process. By typing the drive letter followed by :. But it shows that the parameter is incorrect. What to do now?