Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Name

• Please log in to reply

biggiea200

biggiea200

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I purchased my computer from Sam's Club and it wsa on display. I changed the user name to what i want, but the root of my files is still "SAMS". The user is still SAMS. Like in this directory C:\Documents and Settings\SAMS. Is there anyway to change this?

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808

* Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
* under the Computer Name Tab, click Change (to rename this computer or join a domain)
* Change your desired name
* confirm with OK
* Reboot

======= OR =========

* Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
* Choose a user account that is available
* click Change Name
* confirm with OK

Edited by kool808, 31 May 2005 - 07:40 PM.

biggiea200

biggiea200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have that changed, but it didnt change to that name when i look under documents and settings or any other root

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As far as I know, you can't.. The Settings and Documents setting will always show the original install name..

The only way now would be to re-install XP and set it up the way you want it..

It can be done with installed software but NOT the XP operating system!!

Murray

biggiea200

biggiea200

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
thanx..thats what i thought i would have to do

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi biggiea200

If you just renamed the built in user account, you should be able to just right click the file in C:\documents and settings\sam and select rename. If you get an error that access is denied, hopefully you have XP Pro. Then you will have to take ownership of the file with the new account name and then rename.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Spanky:

Only the Administrators account can take ownership of a file.. That won't help!!!

"If you just renamed the built in user account, you should be able to just right click the file in C:\documents and settings\sam and select rename".. all that will do is rename the file NOT the user name!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 02 June 2005 - 08:04 PM.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Murray S.

I changed the user name to what i want, but the root of my files is still "SAMS". The user is still SAMS. Like in this directory C:\Documents and Settings\SAMS. Is there anyway to change this?

I know that only Admins can change files, if he has already changed the name of the user, the built in docs and settings will retain the old original name, you still have to rename the folder yourself. He will have the rights to change the file because the SIDs associated to the account will remain the same. If the user account is deleted and recreated then the SID is changed and tough luck without taking ownership of the files...

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried?? I just did and got a message saying "Murray is a system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be renamed or moved""

Murray

Jedi

Jedi

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
He can just start a new profile, and delete that one cant he?

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Dooh, sorry my bag

I guess that I should have completed all steps....Thanks for pointing that out Murray, found this on Microsoft, probably easier and safer to reinstall than hacking away at the registry.

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314843

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Spanky:

Not even sure if I would want to do that.. Mewthinks you may be right about the re-install being the lesser of two evils here!!

Murray