Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm new, and I have major issues

• Please log in to reply

LiveRichly

LiveRichly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there. I have Windows XP and have consistently updated it up till about 5 days ago. At that time, I restarted my computer after a McAfee update, and was not able to load windows. This also happened with my other Vista Computers. I was able to restore the Vistas, but System restore did not work on the XP. I was, however, able to log in with safemode with networking, where I tried to uninstall McAfee. That uninstall said it was incomplete. Plus since trying to do that, I have also lost internet connectivity, and have tried for the past several days to get it back. I am challenged with several problems:

I try System Restore: "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please Restart your computer, and then run System Restore again."

I try msconfig: "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account . . ." - Although, I am logged on as "Administrator". I made several checks in My Computer Properties and the registry to ensure Admin priveledges, to no avail.

I try to connect to the internet: Network Connections folder is empty with error, "The Network Connections Folder was unable to retrieve the list of Network adapters on your machine . . ." I then try to start the Network Setup Wizard, but it fails to start. I then try an ethernet cable, but it is not recognized.

I try to use a jump drive to run OTL, but it is not recognized. I try services.msc to enable Logical Disk Manager, and am warned that the service is not available, eventually getting an error when I try to start it, "Could not start Logical Disk Manager service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependancy service or group failed to start."

You see, I am challenged on many fronts. I do have unhindered access to the registry, but most of the registry items I have checked look fine. I am also able to run cmd. Where do I go from here?!?

Thank you in advance for any insights you can give. Please note that I can only load windows in the three safe modes right now.

Sincerely,

LiveRichly

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hello and welcome to GeekstoGo.

At this stage I would recommend that if you do NOT already have a backup of your important data, that you create one to an external hard drive ASAP.

I would then boot to Safe Mode and run a chkdsk /r, either from the GUI in My Computer or from a cmd prompt.
DISK CHECK
There are a number of ways of running chkdsk in Windows.

1 Open My Computer, right click the HDD carrying Windows, click Properties

Click the Tools tab

Click Error Checking

Click Check Now

Click to check the box - automatically fix file system errors and the one, scan for and attempt recovery etc.
Click Start Agree to run on restart and do so.
DO NOT INTERRUPT the chkdsk, doing so may well corrupt the file system, or at worse render the HDD useless.

If you cannot read the results, or have left the computer unattended to complete the check, then go Control Panel, Administrative functions, Event Viewer, Application and scroll down to the Winlogon entry. Double click that entry and you will see the results.

2. Chkdsk can also be run from the Recovery Console, but there the basic chdsk commands are
Chkdsk /p which is basically the file check
Chkdsk /r which includes p and checks for bad sectors.
The command is typed at the c prompt or MUST include the c: to identify the disk that is to be checked. Therefore the cmd would be
Chkdsk c: /p
NOTE space between ckdsk and c and : and /
The chkdsk /p is ONLY used on the Recovery Console.

3. Chkdsk can also be run from the Start, Run and type cmd. And is then run from the cmd prompt using basically
Chkdsk c: /f checks the file system
Chkdsk c: /r as above, but also scans for and attempts recovery of bad sectors.
Again if the disk being checked is in use you will receive a message to run on restart.
If Windows will not open normally then it can be opened in Safe Mode by pressing F8 key and then select Safe Mode with command prompt.

After running the chkdsk here is the McAfee Removal Tool

http://download.mcaf...atches/MCPR.exe

However if you can you should uninstall all McAfee products first, using the normal uninstall and Add/Remove programs BEFORE using the tool.
Here is the link for the full instructions for the use of the tool.
http://service.mcafe...2057&sg=TS&pt=1

NOTE Please do not forget, that you presumably NOW have NO Anti-virus protection.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 September 2011 - 07:42 PM.

LiveRichly

LiveRichly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did exactly as you asked. chkdsk ran on restart, then froze on a blue screen that said: "CHKDSK finished, the drive is clean ..." I waited for about 20 minutes then hard reset the computer. Since doing that, I cannot load Safe Mode, and am effectively locked out of my computer. This is MUCH worse that what I was dealing with before.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am sorry that you now find yourself in this position. There was always the risk, slight as it was that this could happen at anytime.

At this stage I would recommend that if you do NOT already have a backup of your important data, that you create one to an external hard drive ASAP.

Did you heed my warning please as the opening remark on my post and create the backup. Hopefully we will not need it but nontheless, it was a most important consideration.

Secondly how did you run the chkdsk please - from a command prompt etc.

Do you have the XP CD and what is the make and exact model of the computer if branded please.

LiveRichly

LiveRichly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for continuing to work with me on this. I have an HP Compaq tc4200 Tablet PC running XP sp3. Unfortunately, it does not have a built in CD-rom, and prior to losing the ability to load windows, it was not recognizing exterior devices (such as a USB, or the CD drive). Because of that, I have not been able to backup my files.

As for Chkdsk, I logged into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and initiated chkdsk /r. It ran through the five processes, then stopped at a blue screen telling me that the Computer was clean and chkdsk was complete. It stayed frozen on that screen. When I manually restart, it restarts the scan. If I press F8, and try to run a safe mode, it will freeze after listing the various drivers that are opening. For some reason, chkdsk is not relinquishing control of the PC!

I also ran a HDD self-test, and at 10% of test 1 it stops with "Error: Read Failure".

Thanks again for your continued support.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I also ran a HDD self-test, and at 10% of test 1 it stops with "Error: Read Failure".

This is very likely the cause of the problem - the hard drive is failing, possibly the disc itself, possibly a failure of the read write head. This is why it has failed that test.

I appreciate you do not mean it as an exact quote but it did not use these words

telling me that the Computer was clean and chkdsk was complete.

It may well have found bad sectors on the hard drive, from which it then attempts to recover the data, rewrite it to a good sector and mark the original sector as bad, so that data is not re-written to it..

I realise it is of NO help now, but backups - you could have connected an external hard drive - are VITAL to any system.

If you can borrow, an external optical drive (DVD/CD) there is a chance we may be able to progress the issue.
What happens please if you simply allow that chkdsk to run again on a normal boot.

Alternatively your easiest answer NOW is to remove the HDD, and connect it in an enclosure to another computer.
If the drive has NOT failed to an immediate read error, you will then be able to recover your data.
The drive is apparently easily removable
This is from the spec of your computer
Storage Hard Drives 40-, 60-, 80-GB 5400 rpm SMART NOTE: These hard drives are customer removable and will withstand multiple insertion/removal cycles.

If you do not know how and you have the user manual it will most surely tell you in the manual.

Re above it does, but to save you any difficulty I have found it for you
Here
http://bizsupport2.a...2/c01041142.pdf
Page 97 onwards.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 September 2011 - 04:22 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
LiveRichly

It is now six days since your last reply to this thread.
Would you please post indicating how things are progressing and if you still require help.
Thank you

LiveRichly

LiveRichly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I apologize for going MIA. It has taken me a while, but I have finally got a jumper for the harddrive, and I currently have it hooked up to my other computer. I would like to continue to move forward with your help in attempting to repair this harddrive as planned.

Thanks,

Ben