Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen and blinking curser windows wont load

• Please log in to reply

lillahine

lillahine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello

I have a toshiba satelite laptop last night I had a redbox pop up saying that my computer could be infected and It said something like scan and purchase software. I also had a box pop up and I think it said something about there being something wrong with my harddrive and it was scanning something. Than my laptop froze up so I shut it off for the night. This morning I turned it on and windows wouldnt load. I get to the screen where it says toshiba it has the options of f2 and f12. So I went in and made it boot from my recovery cd. The only options it gives me is yes I want to erase everything and continue to to cancel. I said yes and it goes through the setup and finishes than it asks to remove the cd than hit any key. Once I do this the computer shuts down than goes to the same toshiba screen than it goes the the black screen with a blinking curser in the left hand corner. Also I did use the recovery disc a week or 2 ago and my laptop got way too hot and shut down in the middle of the recovery as soon as it was cooled off it finished the setup and seemed to be working fine. Im hoping someone can help I dont care about losing files or anything since I backed everything up when I ran it a few weeks back.

Thanks
Jessica

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Hello and welcome to GeekstoGo.

I have a toshiba satelite laptop last night I had a redbox pop up saying that my computer could be infected and It said something like scan and purchase software

More than likely, this was a scam and was malicious software attempting to frighten you into purchasing the program., which even if you had done, would liely have been useless.

However this

Also I did use the recovery disc a week or 2 ago and my laptop got way too hot and shut down in the middle of the recovery as soon as it was cooled off it finished the setup and seemed to be working fine

is an indication of a problem, very likely an overheating problem.

On the Toshiba Satellite there are air vents where the fan sucks in air to cool the processor. Have a look and see if these are clean. As a starting procedure, a soft brush can be used to dislodge any build up of dust on the vents. If you have the user manual, this will undoubtedly provide the guide.

Why did you have to use the recovery disc before please?

As it appears from your post that you do not have the XP Recovery Console, that would be included with a Microsoft XP Cd, but is not usually included with an OEM recovery Cd, you need to make a recovery console CD.
Please do this:
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

When you have that CD boot the laptop from the CD, as you did with the Toshiba recovery CD and if you can then enter the recovery console and the Windows installation is seen at the command prompt run the chkdsk C: /r command please.

Here on this link are the instructions for accessing the recovery console and running the command.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
Please progress to this stage and we can then go from there as it is likely that other commands may be required.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 September 2011 - 06:50 PM.

lillahine

lillahine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the response I found a windows xp home edition for my other computer( which is a dell) and was actually able to get that to load on toshiba I did have to delete the partition the other copy was on and do it that way It worked although it tought it was a dell, than I used my toshiba disk and went all that crap again. now it seems to run fine. Should I have anything to worry about by doing it this way?

Also I am a photographer and I am always uninstalling and reinstalling all my photo editing software and tons of pics and it seems like I stard losing memorey from doing this. It seems I cant have something like adobe cs5 on there and have more than 1gb worth of pics than I cant even run the program. So every few monthe I run the recovery and it seems to help out. I hope I'm not causing any damage by doing this. I dont know of any other way to go about doing that. I have also tried setting a system restore point and it doesnt seem to help. I am just using what I have till business picks up I dont have any option of buying a new one just yet.

I should check the air vent it does shut down often from overheating I have to work with it proped up most days.

Thanks
Jessica

Hello and welcome to GeekstoGo.

I have a toshiba satelite laptop last night I had a redbox pop up saying that my computer could be infected and It said something like scan and purchase software

More than likely, this was a scam and was malicious software attempting to frighten you into purchasing the program., which even if you had done, would liely have been useless.

However this

Also I did use the recovery disc a week or 2 ago and my laptop got way too hot and shut down in the middle of the recovery as soon as it was cooled off it finished the setup and seemed to be working fine

is an indication of a problem, very likely an overheating problem.

On the Toshiba Satellite there are air vents where the fan sucks in air to cool the processor. Have a look and see if these are clean. As a starting procedure, a soft brush can be used to dislodge any build up of dust on the vents. If you have the user manual, this will undoubtedly provide the guide.

Why did you have to use the recovery disc before please?

As it appears from your post that you do not have the XP Recovery Console, that would be included with a Microsoft XP Cd, but is not usually included with an OEM recovery Cd, you need to make a recovery console CD.
Please do this:
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

When you have that CD boot the laptop from the CD, as you did with the Toshiba recovery CD and if you can then enter the recovery console and the Windows installation is seen at the command prompt run the chkdsk C: /r command please.

Here on this link are the instructions for accessing the recovery console and running the command.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
Please progress to this stage and we can then go from there as it is likely that other commands may be required.

Edited by lillahine, 08 September 2011 - 07:20 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pleased you got it back working - of a fashion.
I am not quite certain if you are now running XP Home on the product key from this laptop or XP Home on the product key from the other laptop.
I appreciate that you apparently formatted the hard drive and then ran the install from the Dell, what did you then actually run from the Toshiba CD.

You will of course soon establish if Microsoft will accept the installation, it will become apparent from their WGA downloads, from updates.
DO NOT FORGET to install a ANTI-VIRUS program.
Here are some suggestions
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

With the situation of the apparent overheating you are most certainly running on borrowed time. There is every chance that one day it will shut down and will NOT restart.
I would urge further examination..

What is the actual model of the Toshiba Satellite please.
Finally there is no need to quote back all my post, only anything you wish to highlight.