Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Freezes After Upgrading Mobo, CPU, and RAM

• Please log in to reply

TeachPower

TeachPower

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
In order to resolve my problem of having an Intel Q6600 quad core think it is a single core, I decided to upgrade and get
a new CPU (Intel i5 3.1ghz),
motherboard (ASUS P8H67-M LE),
and 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM (Kingston HyperX 1600).

All other parts stayed the same:
320gig hard drive,
nVIDIA GT430 1gig video card,
wireless internet card,
sound card

The problem is now it boots, and goes to Windows XP desktop but freezes after about a minute or so. The CPU fan is still running and the power light is still while the screen is frozen. I haven't reinstalled Windows XP as I want that to be the last resort. I know reinstalling would give me a stable OS platform. I don't think the issue is reinstallation. I went to BIOS and saw that the core temp was about 60 degrees C / 140 degrees F. The CPU cooler is generic and I only have one. Just to test and see if it was getting too hot I put a regular standing swivel fan to blow at the PC and it still froze. Anyone recommend any solution to this problem please?! Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You changed Mobo and Cpu which with Windows means you have a new system.
I take it you have not installed the drivers for the new motherboard yet since it freezes once in windows correct?
Is you XP a OEM or a retail version?
Was this a brand name system originally or a custom built?

TeachPower

TeachPower

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

I take it you have not installed the drivers for the new motherboard yet since it freezes once in windows correct?

No, I haven't installed the drivers from the DVD that came with the motherboard because it freezes and is not enough time to load up the DVD

Is you XP a OEM or a retail version?

XP install DVDs I am using is from the e-machines computer I bought a couple of years ago, of which is where the hard drive came from that I am using now.

Was this a brand name system originally or a custom built

No the system I am having the trouble with is a custom build. I know I am going to have to reinstall Windows XP which is fine, but I just wanted to make sure that everything worked.

Here is a question. In installing the CPU cooler fan, two of the four screw prongs broke that secures it to the motherboard. This means there are only two on the same side of the cooler that are holding it to the motherboard over the CPU. The way the cooler is secured, it hardly moves but sometimes there is some play which causes a small gap between the cooler and the CPU. Does the cooler have to be pushed up against the CPU with all four prongs to truelly cool, or is it cooling enough as it is to not cause the computer to freeze?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

XP install DVDs I am using is from the e-machines computer I bought a couple of years ago, of which is where the hard drive came from that I am using now.

Probably going to be a real pain since the installation disks are for a Emachine and have drivers for it. Might be the reason it won't run correctly.
Also per Microsoft's EULA the installation is not legal since it was sold with the Emachines.

Does the cooler have to be pushed up against the CPU with all four prongs to truelly cool, or is it cooling enough as it is to not cause the computer to freeze?

To be completely cooled yes it is better they are all connected. Though it may work temporarily I would not suggest leaving it that way for very long.