Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Hi Im +8GMT
I had a blue screen

May I ask which forum do I post on for help please

I have a vista pc
specs are as attached .. Im not very tech savy :)

I do have something called ENRUNT but Im uncertain where in my pc its hidden if an update to it is needed

theres a clock set here to my local time http://hamstersareus.blogspot.com/ - Im at the pc sporadically during the day and if I disappear I will be back after 10pm and will be connected until dawn

under view problem history I got this
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 18441

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini090911-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: c2
BCP1: 00000007
BCP2: 0000110B
BCP3: 080D0005
BCP4: 84DCA388
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1
Server information: 5b56413b-16c8-4eff-ad52-b99b7ca29d7e

thanks for looking .. I managed to locate a dump file . I remember having to do this the last time this happened but cant attach it
Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

mei

update : it hasnt recurred yet .. hopefully its a once off ? Im not even sure if I do have a problem

Attached Thumbnails

• name remvd_laptop info.jpg

Edited by henny-penny-1, 11 September 2011 - 12:44 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing to do is get bluescreenview and use it to either make a text file with notepad, or just do a print screen and save it in a photo program(paint?), so you can post it here.

http://www.nirsoft.n...creen_view.html

If you cannot read a memory check file you can verify the file is good with DumpCHK.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315271

I think you have the Erunt(Emergency Recovery Utility NT) program on your computer. Erunt is a microsoft program that backs up the registry and allows you to restore the registry if you have a problem. I usually don't use this program anymore because there are usually other problems on the computer that Erunt won't take care of.

The BCCODE c2 usually points to a driver problem and is not specific enough to pinpoint with reading the dump file.

SRX660

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
iM lost

right now im looking at the blue screen view page and im not sure what to click to get a blue screen view

is it something I have to download ?

Edited by henny-penny-1, 11 September 2011 - 08:48 AM.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Im thinking if its too complex I might need to get someone to help me cos Im reading the page and I dont quite understand what I need . sorry about that

I saw this below the page
Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
Download BlueScreenView with full install/uninstall support

which one do I click .. I have no idea what a zip file is or how to use it

im trying Download BlueScreenView with full install/uninstall support

__

update

Im not sure if I did it right
theres more below the pink highlighted bits

finally figured out the text file thing with some help

==================================================
Dump File : Mini090911-01.dmp
Crash Time : 9/9/2011 2:58:47 PM
Bug Check String : BAD_POOL_CALLER
Bug Check Code : 0x000000c2
Parameter 1 : 0x00000007
Parameter 2 : 0x0000110b
Parameter 3 : 0x080d0005
Parameter 4 : 0x84dca388
Caused By Driver : ntkrnlpa.exe
Caused By Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+cdb3f
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.0.6002.18484 (vistasp2_gdr.110617-0336)
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : ntkrnlpa.exe+cdb3f
Stack Address 1 : ntkrnlpa.exe+ed184
Stack Address 2 : ntkrnlpa.exe+ee9c0
Stack Address 3 : ntkrnlpa.exe+b908b
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini090911-01.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 6002
Dump File Size : 138,736
==================================================

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

Edited by henny-penny-1, 11 September 2011 - 10:09 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
With that many different items having problems it makes me think your memory is going bad or your HD is developing bad sectors. If you have more than 1 stick of memory try running the computer on just 1 stick and see if you get any bluescreen's for a couple of days. Then take that stick out and try any other sticks to see if they get any bluescreen's. If you have no problems or if you get a bluescreen with every stick of memory in the computer the next thing is to do a checkdisk on the hard drive.

Here's how to use chkdsk.

http://www.windows-h...sta-chkdsk.html

Check disk can find problem sectors on the hard drive that may be causing the problem. It will mark them as bad and move any necessary files to other sectors so the computer will work normally. Almost every hard drive has some bad sectors on it. That's why microsoft has a tool to mark them, and not use those sectors, built into the system.

SRX660

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
hmm Ok I havent had the blue screen recur but with this lappy being highly in use Im not surprised

I will run the chkdsk I guess I tick both boxes?

something about fix the files and attempt recovery ?

Im saving towards a new laptop next year hopefully

I forgot to mention IM not sure how many sticks of RAM/memory are in there

I never did dare to open the laptop up

__

Update :

K I have run the chkdsk

the laptop rebooted after

Edited by henny-penny-1, 11 September 2011 - 12:29 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now you can see if you get any more blue screens. Something you might check when you think you might have had a glitch on the computer is the event viewer. Any red events are things i would look up on the internet and see if they are common or could be a future problem on your computer.

http://www.stupiddam...ent_viewer.html

How to use event viewer.

http://www.stupiddam...ent_viewer.html

By the way, i personally prefer Win 7 over Vista and have upgraded quite a few laptops to win 7. I just check on the manufacturers website to see if there are win 7 drivers for the model of laptop. If so, then i upgrade simply because win 7 is so much better.

SRX660

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I dont see a start and run

I see a windows button instead of a start then a search box
Then the event vier appeared above and I had to double click and got that picture below

I fiddled abit but wasnt sure what I was looking at

To be honest Vista is a royal pain.But it was all that was available other than XP when I was laptop shopping over 3 years ago

I did consider upgrading but at the shop when I asked about the price of the CD I had to step back thinking .. the laptop is past 3 now .. it was 2 plus at the time I looked . It could possibly go downhill anytime even though its served me well all this while .. Id be better off saving and looking for a new in 7 next year ?

--
Question :
I normally use clean disk and a Temp file cleaner daily .. whens it ok to clear out all the system error and memory dump files ?

Attached Thumbnails

• search.jpg
  • eventvr.jpg

Edited by henny-penny-1, 12 September 2011 - 02:13 AM.

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
I had to do a hard shut as I couldnt back in or out from the BOD that happened awhile back

attached is the problem .. Im going to try and see if I can update that driver if I cant I might need help searching for the right driver

___
I have a Compaq Presario V3784TU Notebook PC- wish me luck

http://h10025.www1.h...689090&sw_lang=

UPDATE : I decided to chance it .. the problem report pointed out to an ethernet driver problem ( attachment 2 )

At that link I downloaded the ethernet whatever its called and it walked me through the Save/run ( I think ) .. then some kind of wizard . I was asked if I wanted to over write the one that was in my laptop and I clicked OK

I think its in.. I have also scheduled another chkdsk at my next start up....... whens it ok to clear out all the system error and memory dump files ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

Edited by henny-penny-1, 14 September 2011 - 03:36 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Any dmp files that are a week old are good to delete. I only save new dmp files for a week simply because if you have not fixed the computer by then they are useless anyway.

SRX660

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Thanks so very much for helping me .. the blue screen viewer is useful .. after the driver update the comp seems to be holding .. I will book mark this thread for the info .. I guess it can be closed .. if any new screens develop I will start a new thread with a link to this for previous info.

I will be watching the comp for afew days

IN reloading the driver , I loaded twice . After loading the first time I somehow clicked the installation icon and it walked me through the set up again .. said something about not being properly installed so I reloaded ..

now I have what appear to be two of the same icon on the desktop

Attached Thumbnails

• 2.jpg

Edited by henny-penny-1, 18 September 2011 - 01:54 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Right click on each icon then click on properties. look for the location of the files( something like: C>user name>documents>file name). Once you find the location of the files go to the location and you can delete both files as they are execute files(exe)and are no longer needed. You can save one of them if you think you might need it again( but you can always download it again also). If you have deleted the files and the desktop icons are still there then right click the icons and delete them also. I try to keep my computers "lean and mean" by deleting any unneeded files and old software i don't use.

SRX660

henny-penny-1

henny-penny-1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Its saved to my desktop so I deleted the first

thanks again sir for all your help. I appreciate your taking time out to help me

If its necessary I guess we can close ..
say if another blue screen pops up I will treat it as a new problem
Have a great weekend