Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

boot.ini problems, cant start computer at all

• Please log in to reply

dark_angel

dark_angel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my other computer recently ran into a very annoying problem. it restarted by itself, and then couldnt boot into windows from then on. i got the error "invalid boot.ini file, looking in c:\windows" but that didnt work because i was stupid and didnt create a back up. i made a boot disk and it took care of that error but then i got another one: the file \system32\hal.dll is missing, please copy this file again" or something like that. can someone please help me fix this using a different method than the winxp install disk? (i dont have one, the people at SystemMax didnt give me one) and i would also like to keep the files on my computer, so is there a way to do fix this without wiping everything off my hard drive?

Advertisements

raziel00

raziel00

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Theyre might be something,

I once had a computer with let say a scanner plugged in, my graphire, my camera, my web cam, all in the USBs.

Once i unplugged everything useless, just leaving mous keyboard printer screen, you know the essentials it got fix.

Try that it might if not ill help you with the files but you do need to have the cd installation of windows xp that im sorry but you need to have it.