Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop desktop doesn't fit screen

• Please log in to reply

madmonty

madmonty

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I recently fitted an old laptop (Sony Viao VGN-A417S, Windows XP) with a new motherboard.

After turning the laptop on and it booting I noticed the desktop was too big for the screen, meaning I had to scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the taskbar etc.

I had a fiddle with the resolution settings but changing them just made the resolution different, and didn't actually fix having to scroll around the desktop to find an icon or taskbar.

I went into Device Manager and updated the Display Adapter and Monitor with no success. I unstalled them and restarted the laptop but, no success. I manually found the drivers on the Sony website and reinstalled them, but still no success.

The screen size is 1920 x 1200, the desktop is set to this resolution, but the screen is... out of proportion I guess?

ATI Mobility Radeon x600 is the graphics card I presume? If that helps.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by madmonty, 09 September 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hey madmonty, sorry about the wait!

You say you have updated the display drivers... but if it was the motherboard that was replaced, I would try updating the BIOS of the motherboard. Is this an OEM motherboard that you could get the BIOS from Sony?

Just a quick suggestion so you don't feel ignored while I do more research. :)

madmonty

madmonty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Haha thats ok! Can complain when the service is free!

I personally didn't fit the motherboard so I don't know what make it is or anything.

How would I go about updating the BIOS?

Thanks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you try lowering the resolution (to something standard like 1024 x 768) does everything at least fit into the screen properly then? (Yes, even if it doesn't looks all that great).

madmonty

madmonty

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If you try lowering the resolution (to something standard like 1024 x 768) does everything at least fit into the screen properly then? (Yes, even if it doesn't looks all that great).

Thats a negative. I've tried every resolution setting avaliable, none of them fit the desktop in the screen (they just change the resolution of what I can see, which is the top left of the screen).

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Definitely the wrong motherboard then, or installed incorrectly. I would take it back and make them fix it right.