Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - "Driver Power State Failure"

• Please log in to reply

valleyboy

valleyboy

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Hi

Would really appreciate some expert help if possible please.

As topic title suggests, I am experiencing a blue screen of death problem. This is happening during shut down, and is preventing my notebook from shutting down.

I have been advised in another thread, which was requesting help about Win 7 not shutting down, to return the notebook to the store that I bought it from. However, I am not satisfied with this advice as after a little research I feel that there may be a solution to this problem that doesn't require a return.
I have been shutting the computer down by holding the power button down which obviously not great. I have since discovered that there is a BSOD that momentarily flashes on screen imediately before an automatic restart is activated. I have changed the system settings to prevent the automatic restart, thus enabling me to view the BSOD and get a better idea of what is causing the problem.

The BSOD is displaying "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE". I assume that the cause of this error can be determined reasonably easily if you have the right tools avaialble for debugging? Can anybody please help with this?

Many thanks in advance.

VB

P.S.
Notebook is a HP Pavillion DV6 with Windows 7 Home Premium

Edited by valleyboy, 09 September 2011 - 11:05 AM.

Advertisements

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Apologies for the bump and replying to my own thread but I now realise after searching the forum :) that a possible solution may be to roll back or reinstall drivers.

Well, I had already restored the notebook to the earliest available restore point (though it is only a few weeks old) and this has not cured the issue.

Is there a way of identifying, specifically, the driver that is causing a problem? Can I somehow get a list of all drivers that are currently on the system to enable me to investigate the problem systematically?

VB

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
You didn't include the error number, but have a look here http://answers.micro...86-6217e588202c

valleyboy

valleyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Now resolved, please refer to this thread.

VB