Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing PCI Card

• Please log in to reply

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Um, hi.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I have two machines that I had to install PCI cards in. Both identical machines, generally speaking.
HP Compaq DC5100 MT
Windows XP Pro Ver. 2002 SP2
Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 504 MB of RAM

The card to be installed was a Linksys WMP54G Ver. 4

As it states in the instructions, I installed the card into the board, taking precautions with regards to
grounding. Even wore a silly grounding wrist strap. Card went in fine, installed drivers - okay.
As soon as it was about to "finish" the computer rebooted itself. When it booted back up it gave me
options to boot in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking... etc. Start Windows Normally. I have tried all
options and it just keeps rebooting.

I thought I would start over from the beginning. Reinstalled OS and that was fine. Figured everything was
okay. Installed a few programs, then decided to go back to the PCI card. Same problem. Rebooted after the
install was just about complete.

Anyone have any idea? I'm just about ready to smash the computer with my shoe.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi Miss_Guided :) sorry to hear you are having a hardware issue.

Card went in fine, installed drivers

Page 12 of the user manual lists installing the software before fitting the card then running the pre installed set-up wizard, is this what you did http://homedownloads...10_UG_B-WEB.pdf
As a precaution and to avoid possible driver conflicts try disabling the HPs Integrated Broadcom BCM5751 NetXtreme
Also for when you get sorted see page 53 for Windows XP configuration;
http://homedownloads...10_UG_B-WEB.pdf

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello phillpower2! Thanks so much for responding!

Well, I did follow those directions the first time. I had actually installed the same card into a tower of the same exact model a month and a half ago and it was perfectly fine. That's why I was confused when it was giving me a hard time this time around. When it didn't work the first time by installing the drivers first, I tried putting in the card first as another source I had found had stated to do it that way if installing with Windows XP. So that didn't work either.

I had taken the tower home with me to try and play around with it this week and when I turned it on, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. I thought that maybe it didn't recognize the mouse and keyboard as they were wireless, so I got corded ones and neither would worked. At this point I thought maybe there was something wrong with the USB ports, but when plugging and unplugging the mouse and keyboard, the computer would "bee boo" just like it should.

I'm at my office right now, but plan on trying to reinstall the O/S again and then trying again to reinstall the network card. Honestly, I'm getting so frustrated with it.

Anyhow, that's all I got for now. If I get any closer to success or something else happens in the process, I will come back here and report.

Thank you again for trying to help me. I really do appreciate it.

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Actually, I'm looking at the document I grabbed from the Linksys website "Linksys Quick Installation" for Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G and in a box just under "1. Software Installation and Configuaration for Windows 98SE, Me, and 2000" it says "Attention Windows XP users: Go directly to Step 2. This completely skips the installation of the drivers.
Step 2 is
1. Turn off your desktop PC.
2. Open your PC case and locate an available PCI slot on the motherboard. Check with the computer manufacturer for instructions.
3. Slide the PIC Adapter into the PCI slot... blah blah blah.

So the first time I had installed it, I installed the drivers first. Just as I had with the first tower. Then when it didn't work. I uninstalled the drivers and did it this way (skipping to step 2)... and the end result was the "windows did not shut down properly" or whatever it says when it asks if I want to use Safe Mode, etc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
What is the present status of the PC, are you able to restart the PC normally or in Safe Mode with Networking?

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Good morning!

The status of the pc:
It powers on normally. It recognizes the card and the linksys connection thing opened. I just couldn't connect to my wifi at home because it asks for WEP key and our network is WPA2. Does it have to be a linksys router for the card to work with it? We have linksys at work... I cannot remember what brand we have at home. This is really odd that it works now, because it was being a right a**hole with me at work and nothing had changed between work and taking it home. And nothing changed between powering it on at home the first time and powering on the second time. So now I'm still confused. LOL

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay, now it's not working. And still, nothing has changed.
It just keeps restarting once it gets past the Windows load screen.
How irritating... Any thoughts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Okay, now it's not working. And still, nothing has changed.
It just keeps restarting once it gets past the Windows load screen.
How irritating... Any thoughts?

Which is not working the PC or the PCI card?
If the PC then go into the BIOS, check the boot order and post the details with your next reply.

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay. The computer is back to restarting every time it either gets to the Windows Welcome Screen or to the desktop.
I can get into the bios, but that's all I can do. The card is still in the same slot. I haven't touched a single thing.
I just powered it on to install applications as I thought it was fine. I tried disabling the Broadcom. And I have also
tried installing the drivers before installing the card itself as you had suggested. I'd totally give up if it were for
a home computer. But it's for work... I just have to keep trying different things I guess.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Try removing the card and its drivers to see if the computer will boot normally, if it does I suggest returning the card and swapping it for another brand or even a USB WiFi dongle.

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well, I have another card. Installed it, disabled broadcom. The computer stayed on after installing the Linksys card...
but in the Device Manager it has a yellow circle with an exclamation on it. And when I view the device properties it says:

Network Controller
Device type: Network adapters
Manufacterer: Unknown

Device status
The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver...

Which I've clicked and reinstalled several times and it still has the same error. Is this getting fun or what? I think I'm
going to lose all of my hair over this. LOL

Well, sicne it's work equipment, I have to use what the office is providing me. Boo.

Just tried to uninstall the card. "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer."

Edited by Miss_Guided, 27 September 2011 - 09:43 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Just tried to uninstall the card. "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer

."
You can check this in the BIOS.

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Okay, it's in, it's good and it's working. Thank you so much for your help phillpower2!
I appreciate it SO much... :) Thank you thank you thank you!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
You are most welcome Miss_Guided :yes:
I am happy that the issue is now resolved, thank you for choosing GTG, for allowing me to assist you but most of all thank you for keeping us updated so that the solution can help others in the future :) :unsure:

Miss_Guided

Miss_Guided

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Awww... big hugs for everyone. :)