Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with a Small Business Network

• Please log in to reply

Addijhaq

Addijhaq

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I help run a small business and currently, the computer network (whopping 5 computers total) is connected and wired together to a server that runs onsite... we are all ftp'd to be able to access the files on that server....

I think we're being ripped off here for a number of reasons...

1. we have internet access and a wireless router... can't the wireless router act as an access point for all the computers to network to? Instead of having the hardwired server running on the internet with its own ip address, can't we just use the internet and store the data locally on a hard drive that can be accessed within the office?

2. we don't have terabytes of data that needs protected and stored... we're a small company that has mainly image files and invoice and payrolls....

3. we only have 5 computers in our network... 3 of which never leave the office.

So my question is this:

what are the cheaper alternatives to moving our data off the server and shutting off the service?

We currently have a website, can't we just use the storage space on our hosting to house our data and secure it remotely where we can all have access to the files?

let me know if there are other options that are easier...

we're currently paying a combined total of like $300/mo for hosted exchange email and for the in-office server.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Sounds like you should be running Small Business Server. It runs Exchange Server to take care of all your emails, IIS Server to run your own website (if you want, but usually most of my clients have website professionally hosted), allows for remote access to emails and data, you can create a shared folder that everybody can access business data over the local network, and to top it off has a very nice backup built-in.

That way you can have it all hosted yourself and you won't need to pay for monthly hosting bills. You'll only need to pay for the original server + setup (recommended by an experienced tech). It won't take long before it will pay itself off and start saving you money.

Addijhaq

Addijhaq

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't want to have to manager the server at all... I'd rather pay monthly right now until we're at a point where the small business server would be extremely beneficial.... as of right now i just want the quickest method to put all of my information on a secured location outside of the office where it can still be accessed by everybody connected to the internet.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
You'd rather pay monthly and you're already paying monthly.

Just look up the exact service you want and get as many quotes as you can from reputable companies who offer that service.

What about Office 365?
http://www.microsoft...e-software.aspx

Cheers