Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on resume from sleep & very slow

• Please log in to reply

npt

npt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y460p that I bought in late April. It has an Intel Core i7-2630QM processor, ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card, 8 GB RAM and runs Windows 7 home Premium x64 with SP1. There is about 350 GB free space available in C drive.

Almost right out of the box, it had this problem where it would give the BSOD on resuming from sleep. It didn't seem to happen when the sleep time was very short, like a few minutes. However, almost every time the system was in sleep mode for a reasonably long time, the blue screen would show up on resume.

I contacted the Lenovo customer support and she immediately thought it was a video driver problem and would be fixed by updating them to the newer version. From the conversation, it sounded as though she'd had to deal with the same problem before. So she went ahead and downloaded the latest drivers and installed them. However, it turns out the system already had the latest version of the drivers and re-installing them didn't fix the issue.

About a few weeks back, the system started becoming really slow. This was particularly noticeable in certain cases, like when windows login screen comes up, an application is started or a page is opened up in the browser. For example, when opening a page, the system would hang for a good few seconds until the page is opened and then it would work fine until I opened another page. Curiously, I haven't noticed the BSOD on resume from around the time the system started becoming slow.

When the system started becoming slow, it was a sudden and significant dip in performance, and no new application was installed around that time that I could see. I ran full scans with both SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Two or three items were detected and removed, but the problem persists. I also ran the BIOS memory diagnostics and chkdsk and neither reported any errors. So I'm mostly at a loss as to how to proceed with the troubleshooting.

I realize these are fairly common symptoms and additional details might be needed. If so, please let me know what is needed and how to get it.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

This is, as you say, a very common issue.
Normally a driver is found to be the problem.
Alternatively and I appreciate that yours presumably does not have an external mouse, the problem can be traced to a wireless or keyboard that does not, in itself
commission in time for Windows to wake.

I would recommend you start with the following and explore your various settings for sleep.
http://www.vistax64....e-problems.html
In particularly hybrid sleep, a halfway state between sleep and hibernation can cause problems.
I would also explore what you are using to wake.

Item 6 - recommended settings for sleep is a good starting point
and also I would check what can wake it. -

Having explored that I would also examine what was reported when the BSOD appeared.
If necessary exmaine that using Who crashed.
http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Download click on the Analysis tab and scroll for the results.
If you wish copy and paste the actual results into your reply.

The next step would be to assure yourself that you have ALL the latest drivers. not just ATI driver you should obtain these from the Lenova site not from the ATI site
If you have any external devices connected, then disconnect before sleep.

In respect of the more recent problem of the decline in performance, if the matters found by SAS and MBAM were anything other than reported adware, etc, you cannot rely on any one scan, good as MBAM is to deal with the issue.
The removal of Malware, is a complicated and sophiscated issue. Infections themselves become more complicated each day and the whole issue is a constant battle between the experts at diagnosis and removal and the originators of the infections.
There is ONLY ONE course of action to be recommended here and that is to visit our Malware forum.
On GeekstoGo, only certfied advisors can deal with these issues, that ensures that you receive the best help available.

Please do not think that I am pre-judging the issue, but if you have used any P2P software, any torrented downloads etc, then I strongly recommend you do as outlined in the paragraph above
Here is the link to the Malware forum.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/
Please read carefully what you need to do.
If you do post in that forum, please indicate that you have done so HERE on this thread and in the Malware thread, provide a link to this thread.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 September 2011 - 07:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What I have found whilst researching the issue is a matter that I thin k you would be well advised to raise with the supplier of the computer or with Lenova.

Active Programs

February 2011 - Intel 6 series 'sandy bridge' Announcement - Possible Lenovo models affected may include the latest generation of IdeaPad laptops and IdeaCentre desktop PCs, including:
- IdeaPad laptop Y460P, Y560P, Z570, G470, G570, V370, V470, V570, B470, B570

- IdeaCentre desktop K330, K330A, B520 Posted Image Intel 6 series 'sandy bridge' Announcement

The issue is a little involved and in essence appears to be a possible defect on some Intel chipsets, used on a number of computers including yours.
It maybe absolutely unconnected with the issues you are having, but it is most certainly worth raising.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
npt

You joined GeekstoGo on 9 Sept and asked for help on this thread.
I posted a reasonably comprehensive reply 0n 13 Sept.
That is now some 18 days ago.
Since then we have heard nothing from you.
Please reply indicating if you still have the problem or if it has been solved.
We are ready to assist with further advice if required.
Please do not ask for help and then just leave the issue unresponded to.

Thnak you