Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick Question About Visual studio

• Please log in to reply

Printer66

Printer66

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Can Visual Studio 2010 be used to write and compile Visual Basic/Visual Basic Express 2008 code?

Advertisements

philrk

philrk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Visual Basic - Yes
I don't know anything about Visual Basic Express 2008 - never heard of it.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Can Visual Studio 2010 be used to write and compile Visual Basic/Visual Basic Express 2008 code?

Hey there printer, sorry for the late reply.

Yes you should be able to open a VB2008 file into Visual Studio 2010. It may require a conversion though, but that is really simple because Visual Studio has a built in Conversion Wizard. So just follow the prompts and your old VB2008 will run perfectly in your new environment.

So far I haven't had any problems with the conversion wizard. If I recall correctly I remember having a few issues converting one of my old VB2003 projects, because of the old naming conventions that the new Visual Studio couldn't recognize. But after you have completed the conversion you will get a summary of everything that was converted and if any errors occurred. So if any errors do occur, you can go check out on which line it occurred and fix the problems manually (Beats re-writing the entire thing). I don't know how advanced your project is that you are trying to convert but I would recommend reviewing all your code fully to make sure everything is in working order and nothing is missing (Just in-case).

Visual Basic - Yes
I don't know anything about Visual Basic Express 2008 - never heard of it.

Sup philrk,

"Express" version of Visual Basic is a free limited version of "Professional". So you can do your basic programming in Visual Basic language but with limited functionality like "Load Testing" or "Architecture and Modelling", ect...

Peace Out :)
Spike

Ebsuru

Ebsuru

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Visual Studio 2010 automatically converts the code to be compatible. So don't worry, you will have no problems opening 2008 code in VS 2010. If you are having problems, feel free to contact me.