Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware - Taskbar covered [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

khm15534

khm15534

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I posted this concern in the forum but was advised to post in this section too. Over the last couple of days I've spent countless hours downloading, scanning, and ridding my computer of the desktop hijack virus (smitfraud). Just when I thought I was in the clear, my taskbar is now covered by a long tan bar. I have no access to the START button or the START menu. It also covers the windows that are shown to be opened. The far bottom right hand side portion of the taskbar is accessible, showing the clock and some of the key icons I have on my desktop. I have tried to run many of the antivirus software scans and others steps listed in the "You must read this before posting a hijackthis log" page. But some of the downloads won't now let me run the scans - an error message pops up instead. It says something like - this application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling it may fix this problem." I've tried reinstalling them (Ad-Aware SE,CWShredder, and Spybot) without luck. I did run some of these successfully just a couple of days ago and had presumably rid myself of the malware. Obviously there's still something lingering to cause me more headaches! Since I've scanned my computer close to 10 times now over the last few days, should I post a hijack this log, or continue to try install/use more cleaning agents?

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Hi khml, welcome to the Geeks to Go Forums.

My name is Trevuren and I will be helping you with your log.

1. Please download and install the latest version of HJT from HERE

It comes in the form of a self extractor so just click on the program and it will place itself where it should go.

2. Finally, run HijackThis, click SCAN, produce a LOG and POST it in this thread for review.

Regards,

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you in advance for you assistance. I tried to open the hijackthis download, both yesterday (from the website) and just now again (using the link you advised). But after it's downloaded and I click to open it, an error message window pops up. The same thing happens when I've tried to open the other scanning/cleaning programs like Spybot, Ad-Aware, and CWShredder. It says: C:/Program Files/hijackthis_sfx.exe This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
NO matter how many times I reinstall these applications, they do not open. What do you advise that I do next?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Try using the older version 1.98.2 (exe) from HERE

Mke a folder for it ahead of time in C:\ so that it looks like this C:\HJT\ then put HJT in that folder and it will look like this:

C:\HJT\HIjackThis.exe

Goos Luck,

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Sorry for my ignorance! How do I make a folder for it ahead of time when I don't have access to my START button and the menu which allows me access to my files, etc.?
I tried downloading the older version and when the window pops up and asks where to save it I chose the Program Files in the C drive. I'm at a loss of how else to save it.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
OK, We will choose your desktop for the folder.

. Right Click on your Desktop
. Scroll down the menu to "New"
. Left click on "Folder"
. Name Folder "HJT"

Use that folder as your destination folder for the download.

Good Luck,

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK, I'm getting frustrated now. I made a folder for the download on my desktop and labeled it HJT. I downloaded and scanned my computer and directed the log to be saved to this folder. I opened the folder labeled the hijackthis log, but a window pops up labeled Microsoft Works (my word processing program) and it states: Works cannot open C:/. . . . The file may be in use by another application, the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters (this is my guess), or the file may be corrupt.
Now what?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
So you were able to scan your system with the older version?

The log that it generated what was its name and extension?

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, I was able to scan and create a log. I saved it to the desktop folder, HJT. When I try to open the log from this folder it says that Microsoft Works can't open it. It's listed as C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/HJT/hijackthis.log
Is this what you're asking?
How do I save it under the C Drive just as HJT and not under Documents and Settings, etc.?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Try right clicking the log file and a context menu should appear.

Click on Notepad and tell me if you can read the content.

Trevuren

Advertisements

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I opened up the folder on my desktop and right-clicked the log file. The menu that appears does not contain Notepad. These are the choices:
Open
Print
Scan with ewido
Open with. . .
Scan for viruses
Send to . .
Cut
Copy
Create shortcut
Delete
Rename
Properties

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Choose "Open with...." and look for notepad in the list. If it isn't try Wordpad. If neither are there, you will have the option to add an application by browsing and browse to :

C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe

and then you will have the option of choosing to open all future files of this type with the chosen application. Choose yes.

This should work,

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So sorry to be such a pain! When I right-click on the folder and choose open with. . . Nothing happens. It hesitates for a moment and then that window closes. I tried it a few times. There's no choice to add an application!
To the far left I have options to move the folder to another location ,etc. But I don't see an option to add an application in the menu either.

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
As I was waiting for your reply I was able to run a search for C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe
I found it, but when trying to open it the same error message that I've been receiving popped up. It says C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/dllcache/notepad.exe
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this application my fix this problem.
I was also able to locate the dllcache file within SYSTEM32. It had a hundred folders located within it, but was afraid to try and open any of them!

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Try this one next:

. Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe

. Right click on it and chose Send to from the context menu and then Desktop (as a shortcut)

. Return to your desktop and click on the Notepad icon

. When it opens up, choose FILE>>Open and then look for you HJT log which you should open

I hope this works for you, it must be so frustrating. I do understand.

Trevuren