Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware - Taskbar covered [CLOSED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
After reading your last post, I think that you may have seriously damaged some of your system files.

I hope you have your Windows CD.

If so, please do as follows:

Please go to Start -> Run -> type cmd and press Enter.

At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, making sure to put a space between the "c" and the slash, and then press Enter. This will run the System File Checker.

Follow the prompts, and insert your Windows installation CD if requested. Then please restart your computer.

See if there is any difference.

Trevuren

Advertisements

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I wasn't sure how to get to Windows Explorer,so I right-clicked on the desktop. I went to new and found notepad. I sent it to the desktop. When I tried to open it, it had the same error message as all the others:
C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Desktop/New Word Pad Document.doc
This application failed to open, etc, etc,etc.

I will look for my Windows CD. But how do I go to START, Run. . . without the START button?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I don't know.

How important is the data on your nachine?

Trevuren

Edited by Trevuren, 01 June 2005 - 11:26 PM.

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Important enough that I don't want to lose it all. I have pictures and documents for work.
The only CD's that I could find so far I believe are both for the printer. One says hp invent - hp deskjet 845c series printer software. The other says Windows XP, but it has hp deskjet 845c series listed to the side. Is this what I need?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
It could be, I don't know for sure.

You may want to consider asking the company who sold you the machine if that is the right CD. If you do, ask them if they can recover your data at a reasonable price.

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
As I'm looking at my product support manual, I note that there is no Windows XP software. When the computer is first turned on in the setup process, Windows XP setup processes begins on their own.
I CAN access all of my information still, by either clicking on the Recycle bin and clicking on MY COMPUTER, etc. or on a few other icons on my desktop. I've also discovered that when I hold down the CTRL key along with ESC, the start menu pops up momentarily and then I can turn off the computer safely since that's one of the buttons that still appears on the start menu.
Do you recommend that I talk to a windows xp technician next?
Perhaps when I followed the 6 page directions by Symantec Security Response to rid my computer of the Trojan Desktophijack virus I mistakenly deleted an important component?

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Try this first:

Let's assume that that second CD, the one that says XP... is the one we want.

Put in your drive.

But we still need to send that sfc /scannow command but we have no Start button.

This tip was sent to me by Hurricane with much thanks. You can access your command prompt through Task Manager.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and Task Manager should appear on your desktop.

Click on File>>New task (Run)>> type sfc /scannow, then OK

If that isn't your CD, then you should consult with a tech where you bought themachine to at least be able to retrieve the data and photos tou don't want to lose.

Regards,

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I wanted to let you know that my issue with the covered task bar is still not resolved. I had contacted an hp technician. He has the understanding that my issue is still related to malware and not related to Windows XP. I am unsure as to where to go from here. Any suggestions?
PS I never received a Windows XP CD, since it came preinstalled on my computer.
PPS Sorry it's been a few days since my correspondence. We had a family emergency to tend to and I was away from my computer.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
HI khm,

I have put in an SOS call to our experts. Inasmuch as I will be away for a couple of days, don't be surprised if you contacted by someone with some suggestions to get us that so-needed log.

Regards,

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I sent my HJT log as an attachment to a Geeks-to Go email. Did anyone receive it? I thought that this may be a way of getting aroung me not being able to open it on my computer.
I also discovered a program installed on my computer called "PC-Doctor for Windows XP." I ran all the tests on it and they all passed (Hard Drive, CPU tests, USB test, etc.).
Everything else seems to be working fine on my computer except for the covered task bar and certain downloads not being able to be opened with the same error message, "This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling this application may fix the problem." The only other error message I have received is "MMC failed to initialize because it was installed incorrectly or because a portion of the registry has become corrupted. Make sure the file Mmcndmgr.dll is registered by running regsvr32%SystemRoot%/System32/mmcndmgr.dll

Hope someone can help!

Advertisements

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
Let us see if we can resolve this error message first. For your information I did not receive your email and I won't. There is a specified way to send text tp the forum and we will be covering this during another post.

We need to run a command from the Command Prompt but we have no Start button to work from. Remember our little trick from a couple of posts ago?

You can access your command prompt through Task Manager.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and Task Manager should appear on your desktop.

Click on File>>New task (Run)>> type regsvr32 %SystemRoot%/System32/mmcndmgr.dll , then OK

Please get back to me with the results.

Regards,

Trevuren

Edited by Trevuren, 06 June 2005 - 04:28 PM.

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm sorry that I forgot to let you know that I tried accessing the task manager in the way you had instructed, but no luck. I tried using both the delete key with ctrl and alt as well as the backspace key (since that also works as a delete function.) Neither way worked! Any other tricks I can try?
Helga

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I have run out of ideas for now.

Please run a new HJT log and upload it as an attachment to your reply. I'll see if I can read it.

Regards,

Trevuren

khm15534

khm15534

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'll try attaching the HJT log that I just ran to this. I too hope that you can read it!

Oops; it didn't work. The error message from this website stated:

Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts
I don't think you have much recourse at this point other than to bring it back to where you bought it and ask them to try and repair windows with their master disk.

One last thing, have you tried "Safe Mode"?

Trevuren