Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Flashing On and Off.

• Please log in to reply

KodiTyphlo

KodiTyphlo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My monitor is turning on and off rapidly, especially if certain windows are open. (e.g. Paint, Notepad, Google Chrome) If I have a Norton Window open, it flashes less, and if I run the computer in safe mode, it doesn't flash at all. When it flashes off, the light on it flashes from green to orange, and then back. It does this rapidly. Also, if my computer is inactive for a while, it slows down, to almost a complete stop. When I restart my computer, it takes 5-30 minutes to start up, and now, when I don't start up in Safe Mode, my computer instantly blue screens. For a while before this happened, an error message would pop up, saying I was missing csrss.exe, but I have fixed that. I don't know what is wrong with my computer, and I really need help with fixing it. I don't think it's my monitor. Any suggestions? My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi KodiTyphlo :)
Are you using the MBs integrated video chip or an add on video card?
Possible causes include a failing PSU, video chip/card including drivers, Ram and heat, when if ever was the inside of the case cleaned out of heat trapping dust, below is how you can do this safely and obtain the PSU details we require;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case,
1: Check the condition of the pc to monitor lead, no bent pins in the end connections and that both ends are secure.
2: Remove the video card (if present) blow out the slot and then re-seat the card securely, do the same with the Ram sticks.
3: Write down the PSU details, brand name and output.

While the case is open the opportunity should be taken to clean out any heat trapping dust, clean all fans, if canned compressed air is used do not allow fans to spin freely use something like a clean popsicle stick to hold them still, do not use the can upside down as fluid can be emitted and finally make sure that all connections are secure before reassembling.
Hopefully one of the above will resolve the issue but if not try another video card, good luck and let us know how it goes.