Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Software & Drivers Refuse to Install

• Please log in to reply

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
There are seven optional updates. The majority of them appear to be irrelavant, but two of them - Update for Root Certificates [June 2011] (KB931125) and Update for Windows XP (KB2492386) - seem to be right. I'll go ahead and install those two.

Edited by Matsuto77, 14 September 2011 - 03:12 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I hope they work for you.
Let me ask when you reinstalled the OS did you use the recovery disk(s) or was it a different disk?
If different where did the disk come from if I may ask?

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
We didn't use a recovery disk because we don't have one. Instead, we used a different Windows XP CD that I had burned for me by a teacher a few years ago.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh ok we may be on to something here.
Did you go to Dells site and download the original drivers for the system before or right after the new install?

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Actually, I had no idea you could do that. Tell me more.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Goo HERE and you will get a list of all the original drivers for the different components that were included with that system.
You will see some areas have more then one driver so you have to try and figure out which actual component you have.

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Therein lies the problem. There are lots of different drivers, but I have no idea which ones are applicable to my situation. I don't know enough about the original specs to make a decision. If I make the wrong decision, it could be costly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Found the User manual HERE
Scroll down tot he second page and there are all your specs. :)

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It would help if I understood what half of that stuff was, LOL.
Also, I have no idea what I should be downloading, based on that list. I don't see anything that looks relevant.

Edited by Matsuto77, 14 September 2011 - 09:36 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drivers you need:

Motherboard chipset
Video
Network
Sound
IDE or SATA Controllers
Mouse Keyboard
Communications or Modem

These will take the guess work out of most of your issues. The above will prevent you from having issues in your Device manager with yellow exclamation marks showing up.

Advertisements

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, that sounds good. Before I do anything, will downloading the modem stuff affect my current wireless internet connection? Please ket me know ASAP.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
NO it just installs the driver so that there is no yellow exclamation mark on it anymore in the device manager. Sorry I was away from my computer for awhile.

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I am unable to download the drivers off of Dell's website. Every time I click the download button next to a driver, I am taken to a page that says that Internet Explorer can't load the page.

Man, I just have no luck with this stuff. This is getting very annoying. It's one dead end after another.

Edited by Matsuto77, 15 September 2011 - 11:16 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK there is another way. :unsure:

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.

The nice thing is even with the free version of this program once you have all your drivers updated you can then have it backup all your drivers into one folder and then burn them to a cd or flash drive for safe keeping. :)

Matsuto77

Matsuto77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Okay, so I downloaded DriverMax. I hope it works out. Maybe it will solve this problem once and for all.
I love how you seem to have unlimited potential solutions to this problem :).