Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot set up homegroup on this computer

• Please log in to reply

westonfields

westonfields

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am having trouble connecting to the homegroup on my network. Both computers run windows 7. I can setup a homegroup on either machine and the other machine invites me to join the homegroup but gives an error "windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer". The troubleshooter does not help I hope someone on this forum can.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

I've never had a problem with Homegroup before but looks like your error is fairly common. There's a big discussion which I will link below. Can you please read through it and apply any fixes mentioned, let me know if one of them clears up your issue or if you still need help.

http://social.techne...0c-e9a2c1469bd7

Cheers,

Troy

westonfields

westonfields

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I had seen that thread before and tried all the remedies and some others including a repair install of Win 7 but nothing has worked. Other computers on the network can make and join homegroups but not my desktop machine. Any help would be appreciated.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you confirm the desktop is able to ping the other computers on the network?

Also check that the network is set to a private (Home) location, Public or Work won't allow Homegroup to work.

westonfields

westonfields

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes the desktop can ping another computer on the network and network is set to home.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Any more information on the error it gives you - like any error codes listed as well?

Also do you have a static IP address or is it set to auto DHCP?

westonfields

westonfields

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
There is no error message. When I go into Control panel : Network and internet : Homegroup there is a notification that a homegroup is available I can click Join now and enter the password but after a minute or more a box appears telling me that Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer. When this disappears I am left with Homegroup encountered an error start the homegroup troubleshooter (which does not help)

It is set to auto DHCP.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I think something might be blocking communications here. What firewall are you running?

westonfields

westonfields

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am running the windows firewall. But I have tried turning it off and it makes no difference.

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
westonfields, did you get this problem sorted out eventually? If so, would you mind sharing the fix with the rest of the community.

westonfields

westonfields

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
No I never did sort it and just got bby without homegroup.

Shmilfke

Shmilfke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Same exact issue with me.
Everything seems perfectly fine but getting the message with no error code or anything.

Gosh I hate Windows