Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Chassis Fan Connections

• Please log in to reply

HisServant77

HisServant77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi everyone!

I'm back again (No Groans, please :) ), after getting great help with components for my first PC Build.

Last night I began building my PC, figured I'd try to do it all in one sitting but I tell ya....cord management (or lack thereof) beat me up in the end! So I had to temporarily call it quits.

I have a few questions though and would LOVE some help with this!

My first question is that of the Chassis Fans. I have the Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case. It comes with four pre-installed fans.

I have the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

Now, please forgive my ignorance on this issue, but . . . do my chassis fans connect to the motherboard at all?! Going from memory, there are I think 3 or so connections on the motherboard for a chassis fan. However, none of them match the connections that my fans have. In fact, the fans I have appear to only have a power connection and a switch for low, medium, and high settings.

Am I correct to assume this means the fans stay on at all times and not just based upon heat or any settings from the motherboard? Again, forgive me for my ignorance here. I assumed there was some sort of connection to the motherboard to control the fans (unless this case is an exception), especially since there are several places to connect a chassis fan to the motherboard apparently on the motherboard itself.

I appreciate any and all help with this, thanks SO much! :unsure:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi HisServant77

do my chassis fans connect to the motherboard at all?!

Yes but see below.

. However, none of them match the connections that my fans have

If your connections are the same/similar as the one below they are fed directly from the PSU, if not the same provide a screenshot of what they do look like.
You may need to use 4 pin molex to 3/4 pin fan connectors such as at the 2 attached links;
http://www.google.co...ed=0CEoQ8gIwBQ#

http://www.google.co...ed=0CEwQ8wIwBg#

Am I correct to assume this means the fans stay on at all times and not just based upon heat or any settings from the motherboard

Apart from the CPU fan headers only one of the other fan headers is a 4 pin type which has the additional fan control, see page 41 of the MB user manual http://download.asro...68 Extreme4.pdf
I hope that the above answers your questions but please post back if not or if we can assist you in any way.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks SO much for the help!

The power connectors that the fans themselves have, are 4-pin molex, which is understandable and I have enough on my PSU to connect them (which honestly I only need one, since they seem to be able to be connected to each other for such situations).

None of the connections match what is on the motherboard to allow the fans to connect.

It appears, checking out others who have the same case, that the fans will only be power-connected, and then IF the PSU I have has a specific cord for the fan control then I would connect that to the PWR_FAN1 connector on my motherboard.

Does that make any sense whatsoever? Being new to all this I'm only making a guess from what I've read and seen based on my fan connections. Should I still post a picture of what I have?

Edited:
Pics, sorry for the terrible quality:
First is them all connected together.
IMG_1094.JPG
Second is the female end of one.
IMG_1095.JPG

Edited by HisServant77, 10 September 2011 - 10:17 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Can you post your PSU details so that we can see what connections that it has available.
If you use the fan to PSU method you can only use the low-med-hi switch on each fan, the additional fans can be plugged into the MB using an appropriate fan to MB fan header adapter and you will be able to control these fans with Speedfan or a similar type of software.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have the Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Depending on which allows you to have the tidiest cabling daisy-chaining or individual fan connections are both viable options both however mean using the in-line fan controls.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yeah, I went ahead and daisy-chained them, and using the fan controls manually is fine so far. It is, however, a learning experience for future builds and things to look for in choosing the components :) Not that this setup is bad, it's perfectly fine for me :unsure:

Thanks again for the help with this :yes:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
I am glad you are happy with your set up and thank you for allowing me to assist you :)

NB: With your MB, case and PSU you always have the option of swapping out the present case fans for ones that do work off the MBs fan header thus allowing you to adjust the fan speeds from your desktop using software.