Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

a popup I can't get rid of

• Please log in to reply

Kraker

Kraker

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
My computer has been automatically shutting down a lot lately & each time I restart it I
have a full page popup ad from "Trend micro USA titanium antivirus buy now". How can I permanently delete this so it won't keep coming back. I've noticed anytime I am having a problem with my computer not running to speed I check the windows task manager & this advertisement is running. I hope you can help me. Thanks.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Have you tried deleting all your temp internet files in all the browsers you use? you can also look in msconfig to see if there is a startup file for trend micro and disable it to see if that solves the problem."Move on boot" will remove file that cannot be deleted by regular windows methods.

SRX660

Kraker

Kraker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for your reply. I deleted the temp internet files & I've looked through all my programs & I can't find anything that remotely resembles trend micro. Do you think it would help if I added another popup blocker?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No, one popup blocker should be enough. From the trend micro website this may fix it.

(From the TrendMicro site)To uninstall Trend Micro Anti-Spyware:

1. Right-click on the Trend Micro Anti-Spyware (SpySubtract) icon on the lower-right corner of your screen, then click Exit.
2. Go to Start >Settings >Control Panel.
3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs
4. Select Trend Micro Anti-Spyware and click Remove or Change/Remove
5. Click Unintall.
6. Wait for the removal to finish.
7. A pop-up will appear that the uninstallation is finished.
8. Click on Start > My Computer or Computer > Local Disk (C:) > Program Files > Trend Micro
9. Delete the TMAS folder.
10. Empty your recycle bin for complete removal.

Have you tried using malwarebytes?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

SRX660

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Try this link from Trend Micro for a program to remove Trend Micro Titanium Antivirus this should remove any remaning files of a trial period program or a built in program from Trend Micro.

http://solutionfile....agnosticXP.html

or if the previous link does not work try this

http://esupport.tren...ag=3395&rn=3394

Hope this helps

Kraker

Kraker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
It isn't in my add/remove programs. Thanks much for taking time to help.

Kraker

Kraker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks for the links. It's obvious I am computer illiterate.