Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"IDE Enabled" Error upon first bootup

• Please log in to reply

HisServant77

HisServant77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was very glad to receive the help to put everything together and actually build my first computer here!

Finally, today, I made the leap of faith and powered it up :unsure: . . . . Only to find that I have no video whatsoever! :)

My monitor shows acts as though there's nothing connected to it, even though everything seems to work find with the build. The fans power on, even the optical drive opens and closes without a problem. The only problem, seems to be that there's no video.

I have the Asrock z68 Extreme4 motherboard, and it's showing an A3 error code, which means "IDE Enabled." I've scoured the internet for hours on end and asked my experienced friends about it, and it appears no one has the answer as to how to fix this problem. I've seen several other people have this issue, but no one seems to have the answer.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this, or could offer their help with solving this problem. And when this problem is solved I hope we can help anyone else who runs into this issue later on, since I've yet to find others during my internet searches!

Fixes I've attempted:
Removed the video card I had.
Disconnected all optical and hdd drives.
Connected my monitor to every port on the Motherboard, and video card (not at the same time of course).
Connected my optical drive to a different SATA connection on my motherboard.
Even disconnected ALL external peripherals.

None of those worked.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is causing this, and how to fix it? Thanks again, for everyone's continued patience with all my questions during this project!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hi HisServant77
Try the guide below;

1. Reboot and enter BIOS. Make sure the following is set up correctly. If
you have never changed advanced Bios settings, please call your geeky cousin
who has and have him explain as he does the next steps.

2. Make sure that APIC is enabled and ver2.0 is supported. In simple terms,
this is the software that assigns priority to all devices attached to your
motherboard. Please see Wikipedia for the heavy description. Ver2.0 is
required for Vista to make sure that all your devices will be found during
setup and running the OS. For those with some previous experience, APIC takes
care of assigning IRQ and DMA addressing to all system devices to make sure
that every device can communicate with the system in order of priority. If
you have a computer or motherboard made after 2005, this is almost assured to
be an option. You can get Vista working under Ver1.0, but we are leaving that
to those with previous experience and simply saying that this is not a MS
supported option.

3. Make sure that ACPI is enabled. This is different than above. ACPI is
what makes the computer go to "sleep" or "hibernate". It is universal in
computers after 2000. Make sure you have at least ACPI S1 enabled. S3 is
only possible in very custom system without headaches.

4. Make sure that MPS table 1.1 or 1.4 is selected. I recommend 1.1 from
personal experience. This only applies to those with dual-core systems.
Please consult your computer/MB documentation.

5. Make sure that available video is disabled if available. Please also
disable quick/fast boot for your own sanity.

6. Now save and reboot. (Typically F10)

7. On reboot, after the machine has counted the system memory and found the
hard drive, hit F8 to enter the windows boot menu. Windows chine has not yet
loaded up windows from the hard drive, and is essentially no different than a
machine with a blank hard drive. You want to choose safe mode with networking.

8. You will now see the system loading, line by line. Have a cup of coffee
on slower systems.

9. You will end up in Safe mode, but will now be getting a message of not
being able to continue as setup was not completed. Please hit Shift-F10. This
will leave you staring at the command prompt. You do *remember* DOS, right?

10. Type "devmgmt.msc" and the Device manager from the windows control
panel will show up. Look at the video card. Chances are it will not have an
exclamation point like some devices. Feel free to load up drivers for
anything needed from here if you know how to.

11. Right click on the video card entry and choose "Update Driver..." A
wizard will start to guide you through the process.

12. You will see "Can Windows connect to Windows Update to search for
software?" Click "No, not this time"

13.Click Next, then click "Choose from a list", now click next.

14. Select the generic VGA Driver and click next. Windows will now install
the standard VGA driver. Click OK to close the wizard and then close Windows vice manager. Now click ok to that old warning about windows not finished installing. The system will reboot.

15. The system will now boot up without hanging or faulting on your
video cards driver. The machine may want to reboot one more time after
setting up your settings. If it does, you may have to repeat the process
above one more time.

16. After completing set-up, you should now be looking at the desktop and
thinking "Thank god". Now feel free to install the video drivers of your
choice. Please make a restore point first though.

Post back with the results.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks, Phill, for your continued help!

I would love to take those steps you listed . . . except the computer has absolutely no video. I'm not sure it even reaches BIOS when it boots up. This is a very fresh build, first time powering on altogether. The motherboard has a built in error code led which shows "A3" which means "IDE Enabled" and it stops on that and doesn't seem to go anywhere from there. Now, blindly I have hit the delete button to see if it would somehow fix the issue and let me boot into BIOS and have the monitor show video and let me go from there . . . but that didn't work. I think it did go into BIOS because the code changed to another error (Can't remember which).

Any clue with this new info?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
You are welcome HisServant77
Have you made sure that both the main power (20 or 24 pin) and the ATX (4 or 8 pin) connections are both securely connected to the MB, not connecting the ATX supply is a common omission made by first time builders.
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well after a few prayers, I finally did get visual and was able to enter the setup. Switched around my optical, and two HDD drive connections to the ones I think are the proper ones (Put the Two HDDs to Sata3, and the Optical to a Sata2).

I was able to change some settings, and install Windows 7 onto my HDD. Everything was perfectly fine (however . . . no internal network device?!?!).

Then I tried to add my video card. No video once again. I tried everything . . . and foolishly hit the Clr CMOS button on the motherboard. . .

And all junk hit the fan as I nothing worked once again. I managed to get into the UEFI setup like before. Then tried to load windows. BSOD after BSOD after BSOD. Nothing works.

At this point, it feels the motherboard was a poor, trouble-laden choice for my build, and I'm feeling this build isn't worth the frustration it's causing. :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

It is possible you recieved a dud part, as Phillpower2 pointed out. If you purchased the parts as in your build topic, http://www.geekstogo...27#entry2053027, everything should work together.

Did you reuse the 1TB HDD from you external encloser?

To eliminate possible causes we need to start with a bare essential setup, will give us all a step by step approach. Please follow the instruction from Phillpower2 in post #4 and let us have the results.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi iammykyl, thanks :)

I did forget to do what Phil mentioned above, sorry about that, I jumped the gun when I actually got visual! I ask though....in order for me to see if I can boot into BIOS, I'll need to connect a Monitor as well, correct? I've never had any problems powering on itself, just trying first to have visual, and then afterwards...this BSOD issue.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Refer to post #4, Phillpower2 as well as my suggestions.

I'll need to connect a Monitor as well, correct?

Yes. If you have intergrated graphics available? Connect to the DVI socket on the Mobo, do not install the add on video card, can test that later. Connect to the corisponding socket on the monitor.

Remember to disconnect the pC from the mains at each step and to take anti static measures.

RAM. try to keep the original pairs together in the packaging.

Consult your Mobo manual. Only instal one stick of RAM. For your board that is slot A2, (second away from the CPU)

Connect the CPU fan to the CPU fan header on the Mobo.

Connect a keyboard.

Connect both the main power (20 or 24 pin) and the ATX (4 or 8 pin) power cables from the PSU.

Boot and enter BIOS.

If successful? Enter the correct time and date, Load optimal settings, save and exit.

Reboot. If OK.

Add the second stick of RAM in slot B2, reboot, if OK.

Add any other RAM in slots A1 and B1.

I am sure you get the idea.

Add the video card and change the lead to the DVI socket on the installed card, connect the PCIE-16 cable, if OK, then.

Remove the video card, install the mobo making sure the standoffs match the screw holes in the board, and there are no extra ones.

Install the video card, connect the PCIE-16 cable, connect the case wires to the front header block, TEST,

Connect any nec fans, TEST,

Connect the optical drive, TEST,

connect the OS HDD, TEST

Do not go any further.

Is the Data drive used? Is there information on it, maybe a OS? Did you format it before you installed it in this build?

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks again, both of you, for your continued help with this issue!

I went ahead and did an external build. Removed everything and then began putting the components on. Because I had installed the OS when it was working before, it kept trying to boot up and all that trouble, so I saved my bootable HDD for last.

When it came time to install the video card, for some very...unknown reason, the trouble I kept having with no video once my video card was installed...didn't happen anymore! I don't know what happened to make it work properly this time around, but it did. Once I was able to enter the BIOS I told it to use the PCI-E slot as my main video source to make sure I didn't run into any further troubles. (Yet...it was already defaulted there. Strange indeed.)

With video working properly, I also remembered that in order for Windows to work on the motherboard it was suggested I set the storage configuration to AHCI instead of IDE. I did that the first time around which is how I was able to install the OS. However...I also accidentally cleared the CMOS. So I went into the BIOS and switched that back to AHCI. Sure enough that was the cause of the BSOD every time it tried booting the OS.

I then continued on making sure everything was still fine for each component installation. Everything went fine!

I'm still not entirely sure about what happened with my video card that wasn't allowing it to work the way it should and did this time around though. I'm not sure if it was the order in which I installed and tested things (that shouldn't matter, right?), or if the motherboard just had some quirks that didn't want to work properly at first.

But now everything is perfectly fine. I managed to boot everything up, install the drivers and make a backup all just fine.

I do know though that I'll have to remove the CPU heatsink/fan and apply some new TIM though. When I first installed it I foolishly removed the heatsink/fan after my first placement because of the wires and all that. So I know with it loosing its first contact there, it's gotta be fixed. The CPU was showing, idling pretty much, at about 30-32 degrees celsius. But other than that and the normal software stuff, it seems this build is finally completed, right?

Edited by HisServant77, 14 September 2011 - 03:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks for the update we are pleased to hear that it is good news, is everything assembled and working inside the case?
If not before reassembling check the location of any stand offs (if used) and for any bared wires or stray screws that could short out the MB.

Once I was able to enter the BIOS I told it to use the PCI-E slot as my main video source to make sure I didn't run into any further troubles. (Yet...it was already defaulted there. Strange indeed.)

If a MB has an integrated video chip unless the facility is disabled in the BIOS when an add on video card is fitted the onboard video chip is automatically disabled and no settings are required to be manually changed.
If you have doubts about the amount or the integrity of the TIM applied correct it, do not be tempted to leave it as it will inevitably come back to haunt you.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yup, everything is assembled properly. Standoffs are aligned properly, wires about as cleanly placed as possible (my next go around with building a PC, I'm definitely getting a modular PSU haha).

If a MB has an integrated video chip unless the facility is disabled in the BIOS when an add on video card is fitted the onboard video chip is automatically disabled and no settings are required to be manually changed.

I thought that would be the case! It just makes me wonder what the deal was with the video card in the first place. When it was first installed . . . no video would ever show. I had to remove it to get video the first time around. This time though, it's thankfully up and running the way it's supposed to!

The TIM situation is actually not too bad. I ordered some and it should be in for next week (have to order just about all my stuff online because there's really no reasonably priced computer shops here. It should be fine until then since I won't be putting it to a lot of use until next week anyways.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Yup, everything is assembled properly. Standoffs are aligned properly, wires about as cleanly placed as possible (my next go around with building a PC, I'm definitely getting a modular PSU haha).

Excellent news, modular PSUs are the way forward we just need the prices to come down though :)

The TIM situation is actually not too bad. I ordered some and it should be in for next week (have to order just about all my stuff online because there's really no reasonably priced computer shops here. It should be fine until then since I won't be putting it to a lot of use until next week anyways.

With TIM you either have the correct amount, too much or too little and operating a PC with anything other than only the correct amount is a bad idea, if you are not sure do not be tempted to use the PC wait until you have replacement TIM so that you can check it out thoroughly, I can only advise you on this and the choice is yours.

HisServant77

HisServant77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Definitely, they need to get on board with us and lower those prices, eh? :)

Yeah, the TIM is still good. I just want to personally change it out because I like being better protected than just "ok" protected haha. I've only been using the PC to download and install various updates and drivers and so forth, and have been keeping a close watch on my CPU temperature, which is at normal temps at all times so far.

I'm very thankful for all the help and everything that you both have provided in this build, and setup! Even though the errors frustrated me a LOT, I have to admit that I'm sad it's pretty much done, and can hardly wait for another opportunity to build! :unsure: Am I a glutton for punishment? Nah, I think I'm just addicted to Tech! :yes:

Thanks again, VERY much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
You are welcome it has been a pleasure to assist you, good approach regarding the TIM and checking the CPU temps as a precaution.
Enjoy the forums and the wealth of knowledge that is provided there by the members and staff of GTG :)